Jestersix

Tapmorf's In Wall Upgrade

Livestock update.
Survivors of the power outage from mid December:
3 Chromis
Lawnmower Blenny
Scooter Blenny
Mystery Wrasse
2 Cleaner Shrimps (The oldest critters from the start of my 75G. They have been with me for over a year now.)

New Recently Added Critters:
3 Barred Gobies (I actually kind of like these guys, have noticed that they are out all the time together).
Vlamingi Tang

I will update with some photos soon.

You really got a Vlamingii Tang? A Unicorn Tang? Did you know that they grow REALLY large? Up to 2 feet according to this site: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+389&pcatid=389&N=0

I have seen these in public aquariums in HI and they were no less than 1.5 feet long, and really active like almost all tangs. :-

I am a bit surprised because your other fish choices are much smaller.

BTW, the tank looks great!

Yeah, the vlamingi is pretty small right now, about 1.5" max. That is what I read, that they get really big.
Once he gets growing and becomes larger I can always donate it to a larger system or a public aquarium. :)
I always loved the look of them though.

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=4902.msg74104#msg74104 date=1231821976]
You really got a Vlamingii Tang? A Unicorn Tang? Did you know that they grow REALLY large? Up to 2 feet according to this site: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+389&pcatid=389&N=0

I have seen these in public aquariums in HI and they were no less than 1.5 feet long, and really active like almost all tangs. :-

I am a bit surprised because your other fish choices are much smaller.

BTW, the tank looks great!
[/quote]

[quote author=tapmorf link=topic=4902.msg74118#msg74118 date=1231824932]
Yeah, the vlamingi is pretty small right now, about 1.5" max. That is what I read, that they get really big.
Once he gets growing and becomes larger I can always donate it to a larger system or a public aquarium. :)

[/quote]

Yes, I have to agree, they are a neat looking fish.

What happened to your flasher/fairy wrasses?

I had a Carpenter's Fairy Wrasse back when I had the 75 gallon. I had purchased a Mystery Wrasse and gave my Solarensis and Carpenter's Wrasse to another BAR member, knowing that there was aggression with the Mystery. I do miss those fairies. The Solarensis is my favorite, it used to eat out of my hand.

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=4902.msg74121#msg74121 date=1231825458]
[quote author=tapmorf link=topic=4902.msg74118#msg74118 date=1231824932]

[/quote]

Yes, I have to agree, they are a neat looking fish.

What happened to your flasher/fairy wrasses?
[/quote]

Thanks for the compliments.

As some of you already read on another thread, that I will be moving out of state in as few as 2 months, pending the sale of my home.

I have not decided if I will do a complete tear down or transfer to a smaller tank. If I transfer, I hope to find a 30 gallon Oceanic cube or something else smaller than 40 gallons.

It'll be quite a change from the current tank :)

yes I know you are moving, that thread made me come back and look at the tank again. If I only had the space for a large tank. One day. And again Gluck with the sale of the home.

The plan for now is to leave the 180g up and running for at least another month, just so the house shows nicer.

But I may start DBTCing /give / sell the corals I don't intend to keep and hopet o have some ready prior to the swap.

I have already gotten a used Current 24g Aquapod with 150 mH Sunpod for a good price and plan to set that up prior to the tear down.

I will update my thread on the BuySellTrade forum once I know what I am keeping. All I know is, there will be a lot of live rock for sale :)

It has been a while and the tank is going good. I think stuff has grown, if not, at least the xenia is growing. :)
12-30-08
939_01_01_09_10_54_28.jpg

02-19-09
939_19_02_09_6_11_38.jpg

Very nice Joyce! It is coming along very well. I can't wait to finally get corals moved into my tank. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Sherri,

Yes unfortunately. The house has been listed for about 2 weeks now, lots of interest, but no offers yet. So the tank is still up until that faithful day.

I will probably have some softies and mushrooms that need a home after I cram all I can into the nano for my move. I will let you know.

I was curious if you ever got the chance to setup the 75g ? Guess you have your hands full with your multiple tanks :)

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=4902.msg82848#msg82848 date=1235104216]
Joyce, it looks great! Do you really have to pull this apart soon? I hope all is going well for your move...
[/quote]

[quote author=tapmorf link=topic=4902.msg82857#msg82857 date=1235106026]
Sherri,

Yes unfortunately. The house has been listed for about 2 weeks now, lots of interest, but no offers yet. So the tank is still up until that faithful day.

I will probably have some softies and mushrooms that need a home after I cram all I can into the nano for my move. I will let you know.

I was curious if you ever got the chance to setup the 75g ? Guess you have your hands full with your multiple tanks :)

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=4902.msg82848#msg82848 date=1235104216]
Joyce, it looks great! Do you really have to pull this apart soon? I hope all is going well for your move...
[/quote]
[/quote]

Haven't got the 75 up yet. I had my heater disaster that took out most of my fish. I am on my 2nd round of Ich...ICH! But I have realized that I will just have to get it up soon. Chowder, my clam, has been experienceing some problems, and I think it will be beneficial if I set up a larger, more stable environment for it. I also realize that the little frags of SPS' that I do have in my nano, although cute, don't have any real space to grow. I'll have to bite the bullet and do it. Jeremy teased me about getting a larger tank when I told him I didn't want any SPS' at the swap because my little nano had no room. He really was right, but I cringe at setting up another tank because my multiple tanks keep us pretty busy. As much as I don't want to, I might just have to take one or more down. The only thing that stops me is the thought of getting the new tank to cycle to the point to where my old tanks were. They take so long.

Hey Joyce, tell me, when you made your tank move, did you cycle the new tank at all, or did your throw all the old stuff in, fill it up, and hope for the best?

When I made the transfer I had been saving up some of my water for over month and had new live rocks curing in another container. I used almost all of my water from the 75 + the saved water + existing live rock and made up about 30% new water. Treated it like a water change when I made the transfer. I did add new sand to the tank since I did not want to disturb the old sand bed from the 75g. All the corals and fish made the transfer with no problems.

[quote author=tapmorf link=topic=4902.msg82901#msg82901 date=1235109528]
When I made the transfer I had been saving up some of my water for over month and had new live rocks curing in another container. I used almost all of my water from the 75 + the saved water + existing live rock and made up about 30% new water. Treated it like a water change when I made the transfer. I did add new sand to the tank since I did not want to disturb the old sand bed from the 75g. All the corals and fish made the transfer with no problems.
[/quote]

And you didn't see any fluctuations in Ammonia /Nitrites, etc? Hmmm... this might not be so bad after all. :D Now I just gotta clean everything and start collecting parts. Oh, and pursuade my hubby to build a stand. :D

Just a little update.

Today was the first day of the tear down.

Tank is pretty sparce now with the remainder of the live rock moved into a Brute.

Still have some random corals and pretty soon my wall will look like nothing ever happened to it.

Thank you everyone for all you kind words and great feedback.

I will still be lurking the forums and eventually start a AP24 nano thread once we get moved and situated.

:)

Back