TDS in RO water

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by screebo, Nov 4, 2009.

1. screebo

screebo Supporting Member

OK..................logged and noted. Now, what it your favorite chemical test for calcium? The one I use is pretty clear in results (going from pink to blue when appropriate level reached) Still, I thought it would be great to have a meter. Have you done comparitive studies to log your observations? Just how far "off" have you found the resulting readings on the Pinpoint to be? More than 5-10 points? It wasn't cheap so I'll appreciate knowing just what I'm getting for the money.

Thanks!

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

never kept a log of how off the are but when I have put several units side by side none read the same. I don't use meters for CA/ALK/MG. I use salifert and Elos test kits. Norm likes API using a syringe from Salifert IIRC>

3. aalhait

aalhait Guest

Are you sure your TDS meter is accurate!

My tap water reading is 220 or so! My RO out is around 5-6.

Perhaps you need a new TDS meter.

4. yardartist

yardartist Guest

Are TDS meters portable enough to bring to the meeting to test water if samples were brought?

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Some are as small as 3.5" x 2" x .5" :) Others are like PH pens... some are as large as a wall socket... etc etc

6. screebo

screebo Supporting Member

Frankly, after a while as long as things are doing well I don't do things like test my TDS in the RO water. My meter is very portable and has been around for quite a while. I do think it's reasonably accurate but I've not calibrated it since acquiring it long ago. Same deal with my PH meter. It seems very accurate when comparing to chemical test but I haven't calibrated it ever. It follows the PH swing from morning to night with a low of 8.0 in the AM and a high of 8.5 in the early evening. CA needs boosting every few days to maintain 440. PH stays stable most of the time but occasionally needs boosting/buffering.

Thanks for the tip, Gresham. I do believe in objective comparison and have been doing chemical tests so long that I'm not about to give up now. I just want to use the best tools availble to me and be as lazy as practical. :cool:

7. yardartist

yardartist Guest

If I brought a water sample, would someone bring a meter a week from today?

8. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

A PH unit should be calibrated every use./ Never depend on it otherwise. I bet if you checked it against a standard it would be off.