Neptune Aquatics

Tell me whats wrong with this picture

Roc said:
r0ck0 said:
Well I thought I was gonna get a lot of "OMG you are dumb, trigger eat everything, too big for your small tank"

Why do you think ppl would say that?

Because it goes against common recommendation to put a trigger in a reef tank, besides a blue throat. Also the clownbaby trigger will outgrow my tank.

Really I wasn't expecting a lashing, but maybe a fair warning of the damage he could do. So far he has nipped at a few hermits, a few snails, my pistol shrimp and emerald crab. Good thing he is small.

The way I look at it, I'm keeping corals and a couple fish, if my trigger eats my snails or whatever no big deal, they probably tasted good. As long as he leaves my corals and giant clam alone I'm ok with him eating my cleanup crew.

I fed him last night and this morning with a couple of chunks of jumbo shrimp soaked in selcon. I was surprised he ate it right off the bamboo skewer. He is a pretty strong, voracious eater. Totally awesome fish, definitely worth a few snails or hermits.

FWIW, I service a 320g mixed reef with a clown trigger in it, for years he's been a model citizen, I can't say the same for the emperor angel though....

Well its good to hear that triggers have been kept in reef tanks. Do they do anything special for the trigger diet wise, does he eat all the snails and shrimps?

I'm sure I don't know as much about reefing and a lot of ppl around here, but IMO your stocking list is rediclous for a 17 gallon tank.

Feel better now, at least 1 person thinks it's a dumb idea......

Roc said:
I'm sure I don't know as much about reefing and a lot of ppl around here, but IMO your stocking list is rediclous for a 17 gallon tank.

Besides the trigger, which is obviously dumb, whats ridiculous about my stocking list?

r0ck0 said:
Roc said:

Besides the trigger, which is obviously dumb, whats ridiculous about my stocking list?

Darwin Clown - pair good choice
Canary Blenny - good choice
Neon Goby- good choice
Six line wrasse - your tank is way to small

What I really find interesting is this part

RockO said:
McCosker's flasher wrasse which was too big

McCosker's flasher wrasse gets to be a Max size of 3 in or so

however now you have added a clown trigger which will easly get larger then 7" if kept healthly

We used to routinely import 12" Balistoides conspicillum and I've seen larger ones. They're reported to get to around 19" to 20" :D

Roc said:
r0ck0 said:
Roc said:

Darwin Clown - pair good choice
Canary Blenny - good choice
Neon Goby- good choice
Six line wrasse - your tank is way to small

What I really find interesting is this part

r0ck0 said:
McCosker's flasher wrasse which was too big

McCosker's flasher wrasse gets to be a Max size of 3 in or so

however now you have added a clown trigger which will easly get larger then 7" if kept healthly

More like 18" :LOL:

The McCosker's would have been fine if he was smaller, more the same size as the other fish. He was already too big when I added him, my mistake for forgetting how small my tank is and how fish look smaller in the LFS.

Six line does fine in a small tank, he eats very well, pellets and frozen, I've found them to be the best wrasse for me, never had a problem keeping them before. Its not like a dragonet and only eats pods or live food.

And the canary blenny is no more, disappeared.

Current fish:
2 darwin clowns
1 neon goby
1 six line wrasse
1 clownbaby

Edit:
Does anyone think its cruel or unfair that I do not plan on keeping the trigger till its full grown? I guess its a bit short sighted and maybe a bit naive to think I can just trade the fish in when its too big for my tank.

Stores do not always take fish back. Clown Triggers are 10:1 more popular as small juvis then adults from my experience selling tons of them :)

Useful website for Fish information:
http://fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=2300&genusname=Balistoides&speciesname=conspicillum&lang=English

r0ck0 said:
GreshamH said:
Stores do not always take fish back. Clown Triggers are 10:1 more popular as small juvis then adults from my experience selling tons of them :)

Useful website for Fish information:
http://fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=2300&genusname=Balistoides&speciesname=conspicillum&lang=English

Yes, but he was on sale:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+44+245&pcatid=245

That's how I got my tiger shark!!! How ironic!!

Back