got ethical husbandry?

Testing out my new lens....

Picked up a 105 f/1.8 yesterday.. Still trying to get used to it.. Here are a couple samples.. Wide Open at f/1.8

3339404953_bee4174d14_b.jpg

3340231640_b73c61af47_b.jpg

Eric I'm definitely happy with the IQ the sharpness and color are awesome out of it. Hard to get a sharp one though :) hahaha I dunno if its from teh MF or ultrathin DOF...

Thanks Lyn.. :) I'm still trying to learn.. Eric here has helped me loads...

[quote author=fishnfst link=topic=6749.msg87122#msg87122 date=1236579893]
Picked up a 105 f/1.8 yesterday.. Still trying to get used to it.. Here are a couple samples.. Wide Open at f/1.8

[/quote]

Is that 105 f1.8 lense from nikon? I'm try to find information about this lense, but can't find one. Or is that a 105 f2.8?

Older lens, Perry. It's the 105mm f/1.8 AIS lens. It's a manual focus lens that's no longer produced.

It's the ultrathin DOF that you're dealing with Doug.

Yup what Eric said.. You see them on ebay ocasionally.. Not a macro lens like my 105vr though.. I saw your post trying to sell your af-d 105.. Any luck with that yet??

the 1.8 doesn't have a very close focus range. I think its min distance is like 3 feet or so..

No luck selling the 105f2.8D yet. I'll give it a week before it goes to ebay.

I saw 105 vr on craigslist for $650, but I think I might just go for a new one.

Yeah thats about the going rate.. When I got mine I paid $550 from someone I knew.. He only had it for 4 months. Bought it for a product shoot and then never used it again.. I think they are close to 800 brand new.... How come you don't like your older 105?

Vr doesn't help with moving objects.. I'm pretty sure.... the only time I use vr is for taking pics in less than ideal lighting conditions.. When I'm stuck at a slower SS than I would like. Otherwise I always leave it off...

You might want to try renting one for a weekend and try shooting a ton of pics with it with the vr and see if it makes enough of a difference.. I think they are fairly cheap ot rent. Maybe $25-30 for the whole weekend...

For a moving fish the key is to shoot with a shutter speed of at leas 1/100 sec. That is why cameras with good high ISO performance come in really handy when taking pictures of our tanks.

Get Eric to come over to your house and give you some tips Perry ;D .. Shooting a moving fish in a bright tank isn't too hard. Try to shoot a moving fish in a dark tank >:( .. That is a PIA.. I can't never get a good shot of the fish at the fish store cause most of them use a small PC or regular light on the fish holding tanks.

You might try San Jose Camera.. I know Keeble and Schuchat in palo alto rent..

Or like Ian suggested just keep cranking the iso up until you can reach 1/1 ss with focal length..

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6749.msg87595#msg87595 date=1236733433]
Get Eric to come over to your house and give you some tips Perry ;D .. Shooting a moving fish in a bright tank isn't too hard. Try to shoot a moving fish in a dark tank >:( .. That is a PIA.. I can't never get a good shot of the fish at the fish store cause most of them use a small PC or regular light on the fish holding tanks.
[/quote]
Like I said you need to get your shutter speed at least 1/100 sec. It harder to get your shutter speed up when you are shooting with less light.

I guess a good camera help ;D. If I set the ISO too high on mine, the photo come out like crap..

Great photo there Doug .. What is the setting for that?

Back