got ethical husbandry?

Testing out my new lens....

what is noise ninja??

The highest ISO setting on my camera is 1600 and HI1.. HI1 is pretty useless. At 1600, the noise is nut.

It's pretty easy to peg a decent shutter speed w/the 50mm lens. It's one fast little lens.

Noise Ninja is just software to help you remove noise.

Perry, if you want to test out the 105mm f/2.8 VR, let me know. You can play around with it for a week and see if it's what you're expecting. I'm in agreement with others though when it comes to VR and macro shots. Unless it's a stationary object, VR won't help (I use mine w/out enabling it at least 90% of the time).

I'm with Phong (well, then again, I have a weenie Canon XTi) -man, I hate having to bump my ISO up to 1600 ... the noise levels are outrageous! Is this noise ninja program free, and/or easy to use? I'd love to check it out!

Phong, A_lee. You guys are correct at 1600 most cameras perform poor for noise. Noise ninja will only help a little. Which is why I said this earlier. :)

[quote author=iani link=topic=6749.msg87593#msg87593 date=1236733112]
That is why cameras with good high ISO performance come in really handy when taking pictures of our tanks.
[/quote]

[quote author=iani link=topic=6749.msg87593#msg87593 date=1236733112]
For a moving fish the key is to shoot with a shutter speed of at leas 1/100 sec. That is why cameras with good high ISO performance come in really handy when taking pictures of our tanks.
[/quote]

I know, but even with a static subject like corals when I shot my hand still shakes. I bought monopod to reduce the shaking but still no good, the camera instead swings sideways. If I use a tripod I can't get the lense close to the front of my tank.

Noise Ninja isn't free. You can use it as a standalone program or as a plug-in in Adobe Photoshop. It isn't a magic program that will remove all noise, but rather assist with it. For most shots at ISO 800 or lower, I don't even touch it...

You might have to go to a higher shutter speed if 1/100 isn't enough, Perry. If your hands are shaky, I would start with at least a shutter speed of 1/focal length. You're looking at least 1/105 for that lens, but since this isn't enough, I'd take a look at bumping it up to something like 1/200. My offer still stands for loaning out the 105 if you want to test it out.

And for those who are't familliar, 1/100sec isn't a magic number applicable with everything. It scales inversely focal length. if you double the focal length, you need to cut the shutter speed in 1/2 etc etc. The typical guideline is to have a min shutter speed = 1/ focal length

so a focal length of 50mm should be at min 1/50 sec and 100mm should be 1/100sec. I believe these guides were for the old 35mm standard. If you use a 1.6 crop, you need to scale (a 35mm equic 100mm lense,use 1/160sec for 100*1.6mm)

I tend to have shakey hands, so I double the "guide". for 100mm, I shoot 1/200sec if possible.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=6749.msg87718#msg87718 date=1236789350]
Noise Ninja isn't free. You can use it as a standalone program or as a plug-in in Adobe Photoshop. It isn't a magic program that will remove all noise, but rather assist with it. For most shots at ISO 800 or lower, I don't even touch it...

You might have to go to a higher shutter speed if 1/100 isn't enough, Perry. If your hands are shaky, I would start with at least a shutter speed of 1/focal length. You're looking at least 1/105 for that lens, but since this isn't enough, I'd take a look at bumping it up to something like 1/200. My offer still stands for loaning out the 105 if you want to test it out.

[/quote]

learning to work channels helps massively when trying to get rid of noise :) I prefer to use OnOne products though, but I guess I'll look into Noise Ninja. I bet I get a discount on it for being a NAPP member :D

BTW I think that lens is broken. I'll take it though as I like broken lenses :p

I'm good...Real Good....I don't even read threads before I say something stupid :D I do like broken lenses though, they produce cool effects/

Back