Cali Kid Corals

TGunn's First 37g in the Bay Area

The WP10 is a lot more focused than an MP10, but of course the price is a selling point. It puts out up to around 1100 gph of flow on maximum, so it may not be enough for a 37 gallon. You'd probably need 2 of them. They're pretty darn tiny though, which is nice compared to the Koralias. I've got one of them on my 36" long 30 gallon tank to supplement the flow from my MP10.

The WP10 is a lot more focused than an MP10, but of course the price is a selling point. It puts out up to around 1100 gph of flow on maximum, so it may not be enough for a 37 gallon. You'd probably need 2 of them. They're pretty darn tiny though, which is nice compared to the Koralias. I've got one of them on my 36" long 30 gallon tank to supplement the flow from my MP10.

As much as I say this is a 37g, a little more than a third is the integrated sump. I measured and I've really got about 22g of tank space.

They definitely look smaller than even the koralia 1s I've got in there now, so that's a huge plus.

The fact they can move a lot of water us another big plus.

I can't argue with the price either, as ultimately I hope to get a larger tank in the future, which will definitely have thicker glass than the maximum 3/8 the mp10 supports,...

I suppose for how cheap the wp10 is I can give it a try.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've got my WP10 running on a mode that is similar to reef crest on the MP10. Its basically just random.

Okay that's pretty much how I figure I'd use it. I have swished my cleaning magnet side to side to induce a wave and it makes my overflow a bit too noisy...

Maybe I'll just order one and see how it works. For the price it's worth a shot.

Okay, I finally got around to figuring out how I'm going to mount my DIY RapidLeds lights over the tank..

To refresh memories, here is how the lights are mounted. Its basically a u-channel aluminum frame with the LEDs mounted on it. I want something that will protect this from salt spray and hopefully improve its somewhat utilitarian appearance:
qMwrTdOGPgJXtjE8_gDczwJ9Lb1q1FwNc8AWMHTf2xwW=w288-h215-p-no

My basic thought is to use a 1/4" piece of clear acrylic to span the width of the tank. I'll build a black acrylic box to house the light rack, and basically just put some small cleats on the clear acrylic panel to keep the light box from sliding around. That way I can remove the light box to clean the panel spanning the tank, etc.
hutP8HJO84DVUURI8DJOTsESDoDftN4DOMTQf-gxQzQM=w556-h159-p-no

GPOEJsmANLesFORmFa4NKeORTLIYainO39VCm4FlhQ_w=w601-h228-p-no

Nothing fancy, but it'll work.

I think the only concern there is that the acrylic panel is going to end up sagging over time. Also, I personally like to still have the light over the tank so I can see while I'm working on the tank, and it looks like with this setup that you'd have to completely remove the light to get into the tank. Maybe you could hang it a bit above the top of the tank?

I think the only concern there is that the acrylic panel is going to end up sagging over time. Also, I personally like to still have the light over the tank so I can see while I'm working on the tank, and it looks like with this setup that you'd have to completely remove the light to get into the tank. Maybe you could hang it a bit above the top of the tank?

Hmm that is a good point regarding the sagging. I had not considered that. I have a similar sized glass panel over the tank right now so I could just adapt that to hold the light box.

I hear what you're saying about lighting the tank while I work in it... I hadn't considered that... One issue I always have with lights over the tank while I'm working is that they get in the way. I actually managed to knock the t5s off the chain suspending them over the sump of my old tank. They fell into the water and if it wasn't for the gfci I'd have been toast.

Hanging the light would also be tough now that the stand is bolted to the wall and it's filled. My foresight was not so good.

Hmm actually I just thought of a solution. I'll make a couple hooks that can be used to hang the light on the side of the tank, shining in. This way I'll still have the strong light, but it won't be in the way.

Hmm you got me thinking of tank maintenance now. One thing I need to figure out is a way to temporarily disable the high water sensor for my tunze osmolator. The water displaced by an arm in the tank is enough to set the alarm off... It's loud and annoying so I usually end up unplugging it. I've had a few close calls when I forgot to plug it back in.... Ideally I need a way to press a button and disable it for 30min or so.

I left a wp10 in my amazon cart, so it looks like a wp10 will be coming with the rainbow loom stuff my wife ordered for my daughter. Hehe.

The tank is quite a bit clearer today so it seems the sand is settling. I'm going to have to wipe things down in there though as everything has a fine coating of white powder on it.

Since everything seems to be running reliably I think the next step is to order my rock.

Some new toys came today:
IMG_20140415_183349%257E2.jpg

- Catalytic carbon to put into my spare media canister -- I want to be sure I'm removing all chloramines and a refillable carbon canister seems like an easy enough way.
- Aquatech Booster Pump -- this should improve my RO production and rejection rate.

Okay, that sure made the under-sink area a mess...
IMG_20140415_212023.jpg

I added another filtration stage with catalytic carbon. The catalytic carbon will help ensure that I've got no chloramines making it to the membrane.

I also added a booster pump:
IMG_20140415_212030.jpg

I'm quite impressed. I now have 90psi at the membrane. I had to disconnect the pressure gauge, however as the needle made a ticking sound at the pump runs.

Final product water is now 11 TDS instead of 20-40 TDS. Thats much more acceptable. As a plus the increased pressure means the pressure tank fills up a lot better, so it shouldn't take forever to fill the coffee pot in the morning.

The pump is quite silent. With the cupboard closed (and pressure gauge disconnected), you only here a soft sound standing right by the cupboard.

Okay, so my Jabeo WP-10 came today. I'm extremely impressed with this tiny little pump. It's dead silent. I've got it and a Koralia one running in the tank.

Now, the only thing that confuses me is the controller:
Czfi0sA7MVl4YxnHFczQt3UMnWHsnUVV-6cVa2GovaQt=w362-h228-p-no

Pressing Mode/Feed clearly changes between the different modes. I'm on W1, the wave mode. I managed to get a very small wave going. I suspect I'd probably need a bigger model to get a larger wave.

Honestly, I have no idea what the point of the Speed/Lock button is. If I press it, it doesn't do anything. The manual says its supposed to change the speed in W1 mode, but it doesn't do that. It also doesn't seem to cause a control lock when held down. Faulty? Or just as designed? Maybe some WP-10 owners can chime in.

Here is what the tank looks like:
zHFOW7eLzTpDDKf6fqPgWgK7g3CYmYClvpQHGwqGcodp=w1048-h828-no

Check out a video of the wave I'm able to achieve.

Alright, I think I can explain the controller a bit better. You don't have the wave optimized for the length of your tank. You have to change the pulse duration to get the maximum wave based on length of the tank. I can get a huge wave going in my 3 foot long tank with this little thing. Ok, so in W1, the knob controls the pulse length. Keep turning it a tiny bit at a time and watch the wave until you get the maximum or desired wave. Then you hold speed lock for 5 seconds and it locks that setting so you don't have to worry about bumping the knob. To unlock it, hold it for 5 seconds again. Separately from the pulse length, you can also control the flow rate. To do that just press speed (don't hold) and it will toggle between S1 (100%), S2 (75%), and S3 (50%).

W2 and W3 are different wave modes with variable flow rates that you can't adjust, but you can still adjust the pulse duration. W2 is going to be a wave with a set pulse duration but the flow rate will ramp up and down, with more time spent at higher flow rates. W3 is the same but with more time spent at lower flow rates.

Breakdown of the other modes:
H1: Constant at 100% flow
H2: Constant at 75% flow
H3: Constant at 50% flow
Else: Reef Stream mode. Random flow like Reef Crest on an MP10 (this is the setting I use on mine).

To go into feed mode, press and hold "Mode/Feed" for 5 seconds. It lowers the flow rate for 10 minutes for feeding.

Hope that helps!

Alright, I think I can explain the controller a bit better. You don't have the wave optimized for the length of your tank. You have to change the pulse duration to get the maximum wave based on length of the tank. I can get a huge wave going in my 3 foot long tank with this little thing. Ok, so in W1, the knob controls the pulse length. Keep turning it a tiny bit at a time and watch the wave until you get the maximum or desired wave. Then you hold speed lock for 5 seconds and it locks that setting so you don't have to worry about bumping the knob. To unlock it, hold it for 5 seconds again. Separately from the pulse length, you can also control the flow rate. To do that just press speed (don't hold) and it will toggle between S1 (100%), S2 (75%), and S3 (50%).

W2 and W3 are different wave modes with variable flow rates that you can't adjust, but you can still adjust the pulse duration. W2 is going to be a wave with a set pulse duration but the flow rate will ramp up and down, with more time spent at higher flow rates. W3 is the same but with more time spent at lower flow rates.

Breakdown of the other modes:
H1: Constant at 100% flow
H2: Constant at 75% flow
H3: Constant at 50% flow
Else: Reef Stream mode. Random flow like Reef Crest on an MP10 (this is the setting I use on mine).

To go into feed mode, press and hold "Mode/Feed" for 5 seconds. It lowers the flow rate for 10 minutes for feeding.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! That clarifies things!

I found I have been able to get two different waves so far. One where the wave would kinda wobble up and down at the sides and in the center, and now with longer pulses a side to side wave. I'll have to try even longer timings to see if I can get a larger wave than what I've got.

I wonder if the speed lock button is broken on my controller. Pressing it while in W1 does not toggle between S1/S2/S3. It also doesn't cause the "Lock" light to come on.

Hmm.

Thanks,
Tyler

Weird! I believe it all works fine in mine although I didn't play with too much since I have mine in else mode. I have an MP10 that I run in Reef Crest mode, so I just wanted the WP10 to supplement that with more random flow from the other side of the tank.

Your tank may be too narrow for much of a wave. With my 3 foot tank I could get a crazy wave going in there. If you can't get much of a wave going, you might just want to run it on else mode with some nice random flow. My corals seem to like that a lot.

Weird! I believe it all works fine in mine although I didn't play with too much since I have mine in else mode. I have an MP10 that I run in Reef Crest mode, so I just wanted the WP10 to supplement that with more random flow from the other side of the tank.

Your tank may be too narrow for much of a wave. With my 3 foot tank I could get a crazy wave going in there. If you can't get much of a wave going, you might just want to run it on else mode with some nice random flow. My corals seem to like that a lot.

I may contact their support and see if I can get a new controller sent to me. I don't want to return it via prime as it generally works. Heh

I've been playing with it a bit more and have gotten a slightly bigger wave. It's probably just the dimensions of the tank that make it hard to tune the wave.

I'm tempted to get another wp10 and set it to the random mode, and to leave this one in wave mode.

At least Prime is super easy to deal with. They'll take it back with no shipping charge and then you could get a new one delivered in 2 days. I'd probably deal with that before going through Jebao all the way in Asia. A second one on random sounds like a great idea. 2 of those would probably be perfect for your tank. I love how tiny they are :)

At least Prime is super easy to deal with. They'll take it back with no shipping charge and then you could get a new one delivered in 2 days. I'd probably deal with that before going through Jebao all the way in Asia. A second one on random sounds like a great idea. 2 of those would probably be perfect for your tank. I love how tiny they are :)

True maybe I'll just order another now and then initiate the exchange on the other.

Haha it just seems I'm collecting more and more pumps. I've still got two massive tunze 6100 streams in my aquarium box. I probably won't even want to use them by the time I get a big tank. Haha

Back