Jestersix

The best canopy fans

Bula

Hello, just joined as a new member.

I just purchased a dual 400 watt MH canopy from Hamilton Technology. My reef acquarium is in my living room and the fans that come with the canopy are way loud. Does anybody have some suggestions on what type of fans are the quietest fans for such a set up? The fans are 4 inch and the specificaition state that the fans need to achieve at least 30 CFM.

Thanks

Bula

Well if your in San Jose area your in Luck!!
There a place called Weird Stuff Wherhouse.
They have Boxes, and Boxes of fans, 12v (youll need to run a transformer) and some 110V (wall current)

The Larger ones are quieter, but if your already set to 4" max youll need something like the two samples below.
Some of the fans have these little shark tookt cutouts on the trailing edge, these are quieters, and will be even better.

The best part is that they all are like 1.00 to 5.00 max so you can get a few and see how well you picked.
they will have the CFM on them sometimes, and the voltage the need.

Look at ones that either have swoopy blades
nexus_120_bw.jpg

I originally installed two of these wide short blade fans on my 5gal pico with a 150W MH light, and I actualy can only use one, its so efficient. The second comes on with a thermostat.
01x.jpg

AFA best fans, I like the IceCap fans, I've got a bazillion of them running right now and in the 5 years or so of using them on many setups I have yet to have one crap out on me. Plus, they come wired already.

Tuberider...One follow up question: Are the Ice Cap more quiet than other brands? My aquarium sets in my living room and it seems we have the stove fan while we enjoy the tank.

Thanks

bula

[quote author=Bula link=topic=5979.msg75714#msg75714 date=1232414812]
Tuberider...One follow up question: Are the Ice Cap more quiet than other brands? My aquarium sets in my living room and it seems we have the stove fan while we enjoy the tank.

Thanks

bula
[/quote]

All fans are going to make noise, it's the way it is. The IceCaps are relatively quiet compared to others, but a little motor is going to whine, and fan blades are going to make noise as well. That said the IceCaps are temperature controlled, so when things cool down they slow down. I have tanks in offices, TV rooms, and even one in a bedroom and haven't had any complaints.... yet.

They are quieter than standard stove fans, I have a tank on a mantle (not my idea) above a gas stove and the stve fan is much louder than the IceCap.

right...I had an older model, with by dual 250 MH and it was much quieter. The issue is the new fans move a lot more air....just don't know if they put cheap ones in that make a lot of noise or if there are better one's out there...i will check out the ice caps...

Thanks

+1 on the "IceCap fans" even though there 49 each, they do look pretty nice.
Good reviews from what I just found.

How does the variable speed part work, can you set the desired "OFF" temp?

Thanks for the info

[quote author=ModernReefKeeper link=topic=5979.msg75769#msg75769 date=1232425598]
+1 on the "IceCap fans" even though there 49 each, they do look pretty nice.
Good reviews from what I just found.

How does the variable speed part work, can you set the desired "OFF" temp?

Thanks for the info
[/quote]

They have their own thermostat that is preset, it seems to turn on ~75 degrees and move up in speed from there, it's hard to say exactly since I've never really measured it myself. For me I don't have the time when doing a setup to DIY anything, so gear has to be plug and play, plus easily replaceable because most stuff in our industry is crap, IceCap fans are not though (like their ballasts).

Back