Reef nutrition

The "Legend" of TubeRider's Looong Journey.

JAR said:
Piano hinge + salt water = no worky quicky
Very nice work though.
very nice indeed.
Don't have any experience w piano hinges n salt, but Im always looking to try diff things??
The hinges are aluminum and anodized though, didn't prime and paint them though.

Off to Emerald Hills; the thing was rotting at the Kritter Cavern.

Jeff mounted the Reef Brite LED's I'm convinced they have 3 led's per inch but he say's its one.
Im not gonna argue! :p It's hard to tell w the reflection. They were mounted with hardwood and epoxy. Screw holes placed in a few rows to allow for staggering later of light is uneven.

Lord Helmet has been tortured =)- Thanks to the toiling and spoiling of my crew, we came to the conclusion that tapping aluminum was not the best course of action! A decision was made to dump the tap n screw process and outsource the alumaforging to someone else.

Thanks to Jesse at Rustworks in San Carlos we have made some progress!

If you can keep the salt spray away you should be OK.
Piano Hinges have so much surface area that when they start to corrode they get very sticky.
all aluminum is probably the best.

So who was the brain child behind this tank? While this tank isn't super huge or wide, the fact that it's this nice sleek design makes it quite nice. Did the owner just say "I want a tank in that space, make it happen"

naw He's an engineer turned finance guy. He knew what he wanted and had alot of creative ideas =) WE had to pick through them and figure out what to do, Tubey's crew.

rygh said:
sfsuphysics said:
Aren't you the acrylic guy? What are you doing with all this aluminum and painting and stuff! :D

Hey, that's why I was so happy with my tank. :)
Not too many 8 foot long nearly rimless tanks out there.
He did it with a stainless steel brace around the top.
Not something an acrylic-only guy can do.

I've seen (in person) a nice 10 x 5 rimless acrylic with SS for the braces . Super sweet tank.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/10/12/rocky-mountain-reef-tank-twoyear-anniversary-update/

krittertanks said:
naw He's an engineer turned finance guy. He knew what he wanted and had alot of creative ideas =) WE had to pick through them and figure out what to do, Tubey's crew.

Well you all did an amazing job I must say!

I've seen (in person) a nice 10 x 5 rimless acrylic with SS for the braces . Super sweet tank.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/10/12/rocky-mountain-reef-tank-twoyear-anniversary-update/[/quote]

Cool Ill have to do more research on that one, although I guess there's no updates. Any pictures of the SS braces? Looking at everyone else's stuff is quite interesting for me.

tuberider said:
The key to achieving an ample flow pattern in a tank like this one is space, lots of open space, every rock is an obstruction. Planning your rock work is critical, it needs to be extremely simple, just a few small bommies, those bommies need to have impact whether it is shape or placement (or both) in order to achieve a compromise.

Tubey's dilemna in reality. A secret discussion must have been had for I had nothing to do with the outcome. Jeff and Tubey's plight for a cross flow pattern/ and rotation.

The outlets skillfully crafted by Jeff.

Side View

Not sure of the brand, but these cool propeller things are great. A true evolution of the hobby! ... N copied buy many.

Wow, very nice hood on that one!
I believe every tank, no matter how insane looking, should have an old-school thermometer. Tell me it's still there?

Back