Neptune Aquatics

The sunny reef on the hill

What made you want to do the ats so much? I know vortechs are expensive, but maybe one with the battery backup would be a feasible option?

Yeah wish $ wasn't an option; then I wouldn't have to work j/k

Been doing this on the cheap so far no more than $200 invested total (salt, plastic, tarp, heater) rest was donated or I already had; was only planning on putting another $400 into this for awhile ow well ... (salt, 600gph return; overflow; 2 x 1300gph wave makers; fish; sps frags)

Color looks fine with the tarp tint and blue t5's I already had; Have used icecap 430's VHO ballasts if it really bugs me. Right now when I'm usually home enjoying it is from 6-8pm; colors really pop good then ....

Not sure what to do on the back up power; needs auto on / auto off ability with outages.

Biggest concern is temperature at night with a power failure.

Figured it will take min 1000watts peak off an on; return pumps 100watts; 800 watts in heaters ....

Priced out the ups was more than I'm willing to dish out currently
$150 ups inverter with auto on / off
$200 180 watt solar battery charger
$550 3 x 100amp hour deep cycle batteries

That would barely cover an 9 hour overnight outage ... (3600watts / 400w = 9 hour b-up )

Went with the ATS as it keeps the nitrate and phosphates at 0 even with my massive overfeeding habits;
By keeping everything at 0 it will keep algae out of the tanks even with the sunlight; .
(It is sized for 1000 gallon system);
Takes up a small area (biggest bang for buck);
No recurring cost; aka phosphate media to change etc.

This guys ATS is what got me intrigued;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq-XumCtH4Y

Just noticed the natural gas pool heater is abandoned here .... looks abit big ... wonders if it can be converted to saltwater without going boom

bayview said:
Went with the ATS as it keeps the nitrate and phosphates at 0 even with my massive overfeeding habits;
By keeping everything at 0 it will keep algae out of the tanks even with the sunlight; .
(It is sized for 1000 gallon system);
Takes up a small area (biggest bang for buck);
No recurring cost; aka phosphate media to change etc.

This guys ATS is what got me intrigued;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq-XumCtH4Y

Just noticed the natural gas pool heater is abandoned here .... looks abit big ... wonders if it can be converted to saltwater without going boom

I have been running an ATS for years. Love it.

For the heater : Suggest a secondary isolated loop.
So the pool heater heats a small fresh water reservoir, which then is pumped through
the sump in a PEX pipe, transferring heat to the main tank.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2162257

You may want to check out that thread to see if there is anything worth copying. They get a little more light in Australia then us here, but might be something useful.

Well I decided living in the bay and the view was costing me to much; decided to make some concessions in life instead ... and to look at foreclosures, 7 more days of escrow and I hopefully will have my own property / shack :) 5k gpd well 50ppm

Good news is 90% of my reef animals have survived; and are doing well in my fathers sun gazebo ... sps, jawfish, blenny didn't make it
Plan on setting up two displays 120 5ft long and getting a dsa neo 105 rimless for inside the house ...

Still have to work occasionally in the bay but allot less, and hope to start showing up at meetings again;

Maybe in the spring ill get to setting up a coral pond / propagation area ...

So far checked out some local stores all seemed awesome
aquarium depot & my reef in roseville both had good selections and affordable;
Aqua Life Aquarium in rocklin also was packed with frags ..

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/babbykoi.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/babbykoi_0.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/fish.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/frags.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/photo7.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/sunroom.JPG

Yeap those are about 1/30 of the babes that hatched this year, my dad has another 2,000 one year olds that have been culled for color, and about another 500+ 3 year olds and breeders ... he needs to sell them :p or he keeps building more ponds ....

I told him I'll take some soon, he thinks for a pond, I was more of thinking of trading them in for some frags lol

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/dadshouse.JPG

nippers.jpg

20kradian.jpg

mh%252Bled.jpg

Very nice!!
I really like the color and how everything pops.

This was interesting and a rather unique ratio:
> 24uv 18 deep blue 18 royal blue 8 warm white 4 660 red
That is a lot of UV LEDs. Probably why everything "pops."
Are you happy with that?
Intriguing.

I love it I just ordered 2 10 w rbg led floodlights with remotes that are dim-able to be able change the color more and use as moonlights ... even at 10% brightness the lowest it goes it is to bright to use as a moonlight ... 2 whites could be swapped out for greens would be a better arctic light

The spectrum is exactly of a 20k bulb with arctics added the uv is at 400nm ... It's a great viewing light ... 48" they just came out with 60" and 72" inch this last week ...

Led from 10am-7pm 50% brightness
400w 20k halide 3-7pm
Led from 7-10pm 100%

Led with halide
fts.jpg

side.jpg

led
led.jpg

Wild colors with the LED only.
In a way I might like that better. Ditch the Halide. :)
Very cool purple effect. Not surprising with that mix.

I will ditch the halide when I can save for 4 50w led 20k floods ... kinda didn't want to experiment with the spread or color either... would cost about another $700 to get rapidled fixtures or 2 more 60" buildmyled bars ... I actually happy with the halide ... temps still not above 79 and am getting outstanding growth and color is good as well .

Led video with dimming effects and 10watt rgb effects

Back