got ethical husbandry?

Thinking bout going MH

Been thinking about going MH for quite some time now but would like some opinions from you guys. I have a good amount of SPS in my tank now which is doing ok. Color is ok and the growth is ok.

Current setup is 6x54W T5's in my low profile canopy. Reason for going MH route is for growth/color and tired of opening the canopy and blasting light on the family when doing feeding or maintenance.

I was thinking of removing the lid on my canopy (stand and canopy is 1 piece) and hanging a 250W MH on each side. Tank is a 100 gallon 60L x 18D 20H. I would still have a canopy but without a top but hanging the MH's.

As for the equipment I was thinking of the following (while thinking of future build).

DIY tubing hangar with some type of lift.
(2) Galaxy or Lumatek Select-a-watt 250W - 400W ballasts (will use 250W for now but have the option in the future for going with 400W without buying/trading ballasts)
(2) 250W 20K radiums

Now for the tough decision

.... Either Lumenarc mini reflectors (not the stealth mini pendants). Going with reflectors only for future tank (next tank will be at least 24" deep). Possibly modifying some RB strips somehow.

.....or Reef Brite Pro 250W MH Mogul Pendant. Not sure if this will have better spread than the LA's. Can this also be used in a canopy for my future tank?

Please lmk your thoughts and suggestions.

I know Mikey (hooked) is looking to sell a couple of LA minis with a dual ballast....

Also, Radiums not only don't have punch on e-ballasts, they're lives are shortened significantly due to them being under driven.

tuberider said:
I know Mikey (hooked) is looking to sell a couple of LA minis with a dual ballast....

Also, Radiums not only don't have punch on e-ballasts, they're lives are shortened significantly due to them being under driven.

Seems like these are the common e-ballast for Radiums because they have that HQI option. At least from what I've read on RC. Seems like people are having hard time finding magnetic ballasts. Either way I'm not set on Radiums. Maybe go with some 14k bulbs. Also depends if I can use RB's.

Which pendant would you recommend?

The RB pendant is not small, your canopy would have to be quite large if you wanted to stick one in it. They are also not as efficient in how they deliver light, nor is the spread as good. If you wanted a pendant, they are awesome. They can't hold a candle to a good reflector though.

Some people have the SLS Blue Wave ballasts powering Radium bulbs I know the BW7 is good for them and if I don't mistake, Blue Wave 2 also powers Radium?
The Lumatek? (or is it CoralVu?) Select-a-Watt feature has the HQI option but honestly I know nothing about those ballasts.
With Lumenarcs you won't go wrong, it would be a matter of choosing the bulb type, DE/SE and ballast combination; if you want to see the ballasts working side by side (PFO BW7) LMK
When people started to talk about Radium I thought I was more than set with an Aquactinics fixture; later learned that the ballast would not work with Radium, it had to be a specific magnetic ballast...
So before you buy if you want to try, the offer is up.

Back