High Tide Aquatics

Tile for spawning clowns

So from what I can tell, you need to;

1) keep a "Green water" factory going to make algae to feed rotifers
2) keep a rotifer tank/bucket to feed fry
3) hatch some baby brine shrimp on day 9 or so
3) feed the rotifers to the fry until about day 10, then add brine shrimp
4) continue with brine shrimp

That's a seems like a lot of work. Is there anyway to shortcut by using say, phytofeast or rotifeast? Or at least phytofeast to feed the rotifer culture?

V

Vincerama2 said:
That's a seems like a lot of work. Is there anyway to shortcut by using say, phytofeast or rotifeast? Or at least phytofeast to feed the rotifer culture?
V
I bought one of these from Reed Mariculture. The Rotifer Diet looks just like phytofeast.

Phytofeast cost about $15.
Rotifeast cost about $20.

The rotifer kit cost $30 + $10 shipping and you get more rotis.

Here's a how-to link (one of many) http://www.reed-mariculture.com/rotifer/grow.asp

using rot food saves from having to keep green water, and I've seen some people on nano-reef that dont even do bbs anymore, they go straight to Otohime not sure what size

Roti-Feast is not a solution for clown fry... they're keyed into some cye only live rotifers give off.

I'd use Rotifer Diet or RotiGrow +.. RotiGrow Plus is a much better feed and you'll get higher production. Just use the extras produced for your reef tank.

I would get the 1m culture, 1L RotiGrow +, 5lb Cloramx and the Otohime sample pack. That should be all you need for a long time. For the Liter of RG+ I would divide it into the small ice cube trays and freeze it all. It has a short unfrozen shelf life but lasts for a long time in the freezer.

All this your local RN dealer can order for you and have shipped to their door with there other stuff, saving you shipping.

www.Rotifer-Solutions.com
www.Rotifer.com

If you need help, just ask :) We have several people on staff to assist you...

sid700 said:
Vincerama2 said:
V
I bought one of these from Reed Mariculture. The Rotifer Diet looks just like phytofeast.

Phytofeast cost about $15.
Rotifeast cost about $20.

The rotifer kit cost $30 + $10 shipping and you get more rotis.

Here's a how-to link (one of many) http://www.reed-mariculture.com/rotifer/grow.asp

Rotifer Diet is a single strain feed while Phyto-Feast has 6 strains :)

Roti-Feast has 5 million rotifers ;)

My clowns decided to spawn on a rock instead of using the pot and tiles provided.
I was afraid to remove them after the eggs were laid thinking that it may change the water current direction and disturb the parents and the eggs. I was going to take the tiles out but I forgot, and by that time they had laid another batch. They switched spawning location so I removed the tile that is furthest from the eggs, but I don't want to take the other one out since it is 3" from their current patch of eggs. Should I take the tile out after this batch hatches?
As for the pot, I've decided to leave it in. The pot is part of their territory and part of their little "fortress" of small arches and holes in which to swim around.

Euphyllia said:
Should I take the tile out after this batch hatches?

My clowns finally spawned on the tiles after a couple of months. I would just leave it and don't move it around. Tiles would makes it easier to get the fry.

Back