Cali Kid Corals

Tips on catching an Emerald Crab

Anyone have any tips on how to catch a green emerald crab. I've had it in my tank for a long time but haven't seen it in years, actually thought he was dead. Lately, I've had some of my acan mouths eaten out, and an elegance and hammer coral die as well. I thought something was picking at things, figured maybe my flame angel or filefish, but recently found a mushroom and frag plug jammed up into a rock cave. Something brought them up there to use as a door and I remember this crab doing that a lot years ago. Anyways, please let me know if you have any ideas on how to catch this guy. I know where he is hiding but I need to lure him out with something.

Thanks for the help

I caught one just yesterday, happened to see him on the underside of a rock. I moved the rock over a net and then shook him into it. I've heard other folks say they lure them out with a chunk of food held in tweezers or a grabber and they'll hang on long enough to be caught. All of this is much easier at night, btw.

Last edited:
I used to have an emerald crab, the worst thing I've ever had. Ultimately I tore apart my rockwork and banished him to the sump with the rock he was hanging onto. That was the only way I caught him (I tried everything).

Agree with previous, leave some bait out and grab him with tongs. When I was keeping mushrooms in a glass tumbler in my tank, I had to rescue crabs that found their way into the glass a couple times.

I used to have an emerald crab, the worst thing I've ever had. Ultimately I tore apart my rockwork and banished him to the sump with the rock he was hanging onto. That was the only way I caught him (I tried everything).

why? mine seems to be fine and just hides most of the day and eats algae at night.

I have 6 in my current tank. No issues. I never have issues with emeralds. Shrimp yes, if I target feed LPS but I don't do that anymore.

Ha. Same. Can’t target feed coral / anemone with out shrimp stealing. Tearing open anemones to get the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 6 in my current tank. No issues. I never have issues with emeralds. Shrimp yes, if I target feed LPS but I don't do that anymore.
That’s why I got rid of my shrimp. It was abusing the nem to get food! But no issues with emeralds either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back