Jestersix

Tool to pluck hair algae?

I'm in the midst of a big new tank hair algae bloom.

I want to pluck the growth often, and that means not relying on putting my arm in.

I've tried metal tongs but they don't grip well enough to pull the hair algae.

Anyone know of a decent tool I could use without sticking my arm in the tank?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have a algae mower it's like a small underwater drill. Pretty good for small hair algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a algae mower it's like a small underwater drill. Pretty good for small hair algae.

I had a hard time identifying how the cleaning action works from the YouTube vids I watched. Is it just a vibrating rod that cleans the rocks and then the vacuum just sucks up the algae?

I had a hard time identifying how the cleaning action works from the YouTube vids I watched. Is it just a vibrating rod that cleans the rocks and then the vacuum just sucks up the algae?

It's a drill the drill bits plucks the hair algae out and the small suction bag catches it.

I'm in the midst of a big new tank hair algae bloom.

I want to pluck the growth often, and that means not relying on putting my arm in.

I've tried metal tongs but they don't grip well enough to pull the hair algae.

Anyone know of a decent tool I could use without sticking my arm in the tank?

Yes, a toothbrush is a great tool for picking up hair algae. If you rotate the brush, it will stick in the bristles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha maybe my nose hair trimmer?

I have dreamed of a little power scrub brush with a suction hose to pull away what you clean. Too bad it doesn't exist.

I have jury-rigged a few: rubberband a length of vinyl tubing to the handle of a toothbrush, right up close to the bristle head. You can then suck up whatever you scrub away, works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can barrow mine to it test out but I lost the bag to collect the hair algae. I mainly use it to drill most of the algae off the rock. :)

Last edited:
The Yellow Atlas gloves on Amazon are cheaper than the Coralife ones, and are cotton lined so you don't get that sweat/wet sticky feeling. I find them a little easier to dry as well in the finger areas. But both have that hole up at top... so many times the water got in somehow when I'm going for my sandbed (24" deep)... just tried to make a habit of plugging/holding that hole with my other hand when possible. An extra inch or two would be nice to go over the shoulder.

The Yellow Atlas gloves on Amazon are cheaper than the Coralife ones, and are cotton lined so you don't get that sweat/wet sticky feeling. I find them a little easier to dry as well in the finger areas. But both have that hole up at top... so many times the water got in somehow when I'm going for my sandbed (24" deep)... just tried to make a habit of plugging/holding that hole with my other hand when possible. An extra inch or two would be nice to go over the shoulder.

I'm using the yellow atlast gloves from Amazon actually. Same problem with the hole. Haha. I'll see if I can use some vulcanizing electrical tape or something to cover it.
My current pair has the problem that I get water in them and I CANT dry them out well, so they end up mildewing.
I'm thinking I might get a couple pieces of 1" PVC, drill a bunch of holes in them and make a dryer with a fan to slip the gloves over.

Back