Jestersix

Trochus snails

I was getting ready to tear down my old tank when i noticed the one frag I had left in there was covered in some small white things. On closer inspection they were baby Trochus snails and so now I'm trying to collect as many as possible before I tear it down. I've transfered about 100 so far. If anyone is interested in about 20 just let me know haha.
tsCUo.jpg

I hate to tell you this, but those are not Trochus snails. Those are Collinista snails. Those are full size.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.php

Interesting, I have never seen them fully grown like this random image from the internet:
12612Snail.JPG

Gresham the link you posted says they get to 6mm, The picture I posted is zoomed and cropped and the biggest one is 2mm (you can see the mail barcode thing in the backround).

I'm assuming mine are Trochus snails because mine do regularly spawn and I have several different generations of snails in my tank (I started with 4). Also they are really young (translucent shell) and these tiny snails have shown up in numbers then develop the characteristic Trochus bands.

I'm not convinced they're Collinista due to translucent shell and lack of full sized adults. But who knows maybe I had a few collinsta snails and they just recently spawned and these are their babies. I'll try to post updates.

Well thanks gresh, I wasn't trying to argue just saying I'm unaware of any adults. this particulate tank has been devoid of live rock for a month now so I found it hard to believe adults were hiding somewhere. I have seen the baby trochus snails slightly bigger than these before so I just made the assumption these were younger versions.

Do you know how long they take to mature? Hopefully some of these grow because I didn't move any live rock to the new tank so I know there are no adults there since I started with Marco rock.

Thanks,

Try looking late at night.. like early AM. I suspect you will find a ton of adults. They tend to do their business in the dark. Dunno life cycles or anything about them as I never really cared for them. They tend to get stuck in my powerheads, strainers and can be PITA. I use wrasses to keep them down now. I don't subscribe to the typical "cleaner crew" approach. There is no poop black hole where nutrients just disappear into :D (old debate and I borrowed that line from some one else)

Pay very close attention to the shape. I have seen millions of each. Collinista.

Trochus are not shaped like that. Even as babies they are pyramid shape and not turban shaped. The bands are wrong as well.

Collinista spawning is super super super super super common. Not seeing adults means nothing, try looking very late at night :)

edit: removed snarky comments, sorry Tim

I knew i had baby trochus snails somewhere.
DSCF1889.JPG

Ignore the cyno from lack of flow. I have this part of the tank walled off a bit because of a killer favia.

That's not a Trochus either :) But those breed as well.

For snail ID it is best to get a shot like that and one of the opening. The opening is a major ID point.

I should have just taken if off the rock to check, since it was out and about during the day.

Edit: I dunno, I just pulled it off to take a look, it looks a lot like the adults, I should clarify that I have red banded black foot trochus. I didn't realize there were different kinds.

take it out of the tank... take a photo of the body and of the opening. I'm pretty confident on it not being a Trochus. The shape is too elongated.

We would love to take some our refugium. Let us know if you have any left and if you need anything to compensate you.

Thanks
Pat and Kelly

Back