Our mission

trying to make a custom sump, but i need advices.

Guys, I need help on building a sump, and I don't know how thick of a sheet of plastic, i should buy and how to run plumbing properly. how should i set up my baffles. I want a sump to be 14in h x 28in L x 15in w. So far what I know about sump is water goes down from the over flow and to the sump, then water runs to a protein skimmer, out, then run to a refugium, then to a return pump in the last baffle. Most people run with pvc pipes and return pipe must be installed with a check valve.

oh one more thing, how do i cut plastic sheets?

1) If you plan on doing the layup yourself, you may want to have the acrylic cut for you, generally to cut acrylic at home you use a score and snap method that's pretty crude.

2) Everyone has different methods of setting up their sumps, I prefer a flow through style with minimal baffles. Just a space for a sump, a couple of dividers to keep you macro in place and a return pump section.

bookfish said:
What's a baffle?

I believe baffles mean... chambers dividers in the sump, for example baffle one divided chamber one and two, and baffle two, divided two and third chamber.

hahaha Waffles... I want some now, with peanut butter and jelly.

Is this a great idea? Very simple and easy to make.
36477_405609972707_592997707_4244145_5086118_n.jpg

Looks good to me, except I don't think you need the baffle coming down from the top on either side, I run my sumps without them and have no problems with micro bubbles.

If you do have baffles coming down, put them on the outside of the ones coming up, rather than the inside as you have it now. That way sand in the middle section can't clog the gap between the two baffles.

tuberider said:
Looks good to me, except I don't think you need the baffle coming down from the top on either side, I run my sumps without them and have no problems with micro bubbles.
I'm afraid of clogging though... It would be suck if it gets clog right?

nudibranch said:
I think it is neat that you are using macro algae to help clean the water. I had some that looked like clear green lettuce.
I have successful use Chaetomorpha and Calerpa Algae to clean my water in my 12gallon nanocube. It's natural and safe way to filter the tank. Only maintenance are changing bulbs, cleaning salt creeps and trimming algae!

sfboarders said:
Saw this on RC. Will this work for you?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1866165
Thanks for the idea... Great link!

pixelpixi said:
If you do have baffles coming down, put them on the outside of the ones coming up, rather than the inside as you have it now. That way sand in the middle section can't clog the gap between the two baffles.
agree. I like baffles, it smoothing out the flow... :)

bookfish said:
I prefer not to get sand between my 2 waffles. just IMO.
hahaha!

Mr. Ugly said:
This thread has me waffling between baffles or no baffles.

Yes.... I'm baffled :D
hahaha

krittertanks said:
A million answers! no one genius way to do.... Its a good start=)
Thanks.

Okay, what about plumbing? I'm not Super Mario who is an expert at this. I think of going for pvc pipes. I heard these pipes are cheap and inexpensive to use, very sturdy too! How do I connect them together? What glue? how big of the sizes...? I think I'm going to drill a hole for the overflow on the main tank so it will input to the sump. What about return? should drill how and pipe to it like close loop? goes under the tank? how does a check valve look like anyways?

Sorry, with a lot of tons of question, but i need help... I don't trust guys at stores so you guys are the experts. You guys have large, and better tanks than mine, so i'm sure your experience can help me learn!

First, find a few aquarium store guys who you can trust... they will give you different answers =)
Then the BAR guys may confuse you, get all the information you can and then just decide what may work for you. I garantee that you will change your mind, livin's a learnin!
PVC glue and some pipe cutters, CHEAP. 1" bulkhead drains around 800-1200 gph if facing vertically, drain to one tube, and stuff with air tube if you get the toilet flush. .Drill acrylic tanks with normal hole saws, glass requires a little more $ and skill. (Ive never done) AS for the return, you can go pvc to loc line, etc, (wave machine, some other crazy contraption)
Simple is best, use a marineland u pipe, or something similar.
Closed loop is usually a way to return water to a tank without a power head inside. It uses an external pump that sucks water from under the water line via bulkhead. It is falling out of favor and typically used for 100+ gall tanks. Remember, have a good time!

krittertanks said:
First, find a few aquarium store guys who you can trust... they will give you different answers =)
Then the BAR guys may confuse you, get all the information you can and then just decide what may work for you. I garantee that you will change your mind, livin's a learnin!
PVC glue and some pipe cutters, CHEAP. 1" bulkhead drains around 800-1200 gph if facing vertically, drain to one tube, and stuff with air tube if you get the toilet flush. .Drill acrylic tanks with normal hole saws, glass requires a little more $ and skill. (Ive never done) AS for the return, you can go pvc to loc line, etc, (wave machine, some other crazy contraption)
Simple is best, use a marineland u pipe, or something similar.
Closed loop is usually a way to return water to a tank without a power head inside. It uses an external pump that sucks water from under the water line via bulkhead. It is falling out of favor and typically used for 100+ gall tanks. Remember, have a good time!

is that you Gen??? How do you cut acrylic anyways? I don't know is regular power saw is safe because of heat.

Back