Kessil

tskiller's Reefer 170

Lights are here! And they look great!

Dd7Fd1a.jpg

aWwLDN6.jpg

SqGubaP.jpg

I also got a mounting kit for this. It's programmable from an Apex controller, but until then, I'll be using the dimmer and a timer.

Now if I only had a tank :p

:) Pictures are worth a thousand words. Sorry for the poor shots, better shots to come tomorrow - by the time i finished it was night and I had to take everything with a flash and no tripod.

ihUfsBa.jpg

NHbR0Uh.jpg

Lb36DNt.jpg

ARi1X2B.jpg

Not too bad to put together, just a million pins and screws! I'm getting ready for the leak test, hopefully filling it with saltwater tomorrow.

Things are starting to take shape. I've got it filled up but am dealing with a very slight leak on my return tubing at the barb. Got a new fitting on order and am going to pick up clamps for the hose barb connection on the way home from work today.

No new shots, but I've got my powerhead and heater installed. Hoping to finish up my leak testing on Thursday when my new plumbing comes in, get salty, and get some live rock on Saturday.

I've decided I'm going to use authentic live rock for this build. Anyone know of any stores with some really nice live rock? or should I just order some?

Aquatic collection has ocean rock but not sure if live. Call them to make sure.

It seems almost all the stores are moving towards synthetic rock which is good since were not destroying the oceans reefs for rocks. Functions the same way surface area for bacterial growth and room to put corals on/fish to use. With synthetic reef rock youre losing that deep pore space for anaerobic bacteria but how important are those anyways in a reef tank.

I don't really like the way that artificial live rock looks when I've seen it in person. It's kind of like the uncanny valley of rock - yeah its purple, looks like live rock, but not quite, at least until real coralline grows over everything. Not a big fan of buying essentially a chunk of concrete either; somehow it's still pretty expensive.

I also don't really want to lose the diversity of bacteria, porosity, and hitchhikers that you get on real rock. I've seen plenty of beautiful synthetic rock tanks, but for me on this build, I want authentic live rock.

Just a quick update. I've got the tank level and full of water. Well over 24 hours with no drips, so I went ahead and added in my sand. I have about 1.5 inches, which hopefully will be enough for a shrimp goby combo. I put my lights on, but I'm not super happy with the mount. I'm going to see if I cant figure out something that looks nicer.

Tomorrow, I'm going shopping for live rocks. If I don't find what I'm looking for, I think I'll end up ordering from liverocknreef or some other site. Hopefully getting my live rock one way or another within the next 3-4 days! I plan to dose ammonium chloride to feed the cycle, and this time around I'm giving Dr. Tims one and only a shot.

Time for an update! Things are going great. I had a very short cycle, likely due to buying pre-cured live rock locally, and using dr tims. I dosed ammonium chloride until my test read 3.0 PPM. When I could dose 3.0 PPM of ammonia and read 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite within 24 hours, I considered the cycle done.

I got a black misbar clown, and then a few things a week later at the California reef co grand-reopening. My chemistry seems solid - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, dKH 8, PH 8.2. My nitrite is a little high, at around 10, likely from the cycle, but I'm doing weekly 20% changes to get it to a level I'm happy with.

vr5FEFV.jpg

GKJ6nVV.jpg

Q0e1jSl.jpg

Rif3Y91.jpg

2ozPieN.jpg

OQZvYtz.jpg

These are mostly cheaper corals, but dang if they don't look nice and were a heck of a deal. Sides. I figure im not going to toss in anything too expensive this early in the game. thrilled to see PE on my sps.

Anyone know how to sex cardinals? I have a pair and I'm hoping they are male/female. They stick together all the time. Kind of picky eaters though. Not really interested in any of my pellets so I ran out and got a pack of pe mysis and rods food. They love it.

Spent the weekend getting frustrated with my Apex controller. Spent 500+ bucks on a set and they can't even include printed instructions. Not everyone has a computer next to their fish tank. Spend an additional 200+ bucks on a conductivity probe and PM2, and they can't bother to include calibration solution. Went to LFS, asked for conductivity calibration solution, and when I got home I discovered that there is most than one kind of calibration fluid depending on whether you are testing RO/DI, fresh, or saltwater...learned a lot this weekend.

Eventually I got things going, and have it controlling my lights, heater, pump, skimmer, and monitoring for ph, temp, and conductivity. I can activate maintenance mode which disables my return pump and skimmer for 20 minutes, with a five minute lag on the skimmer so water level in the sump has a chance to stabilize after turning the return pump on.

My heater kicks on < 78.1 and kicks off > 78.9. I get alarm SMS sent above 82 and below 75. My daily PH swing seems to be about .4, from 7.92 to 8.27.

I picked up a flasher wrasse, unfortunately when I got him home and out of hiding and got a good look at him, I noticed he wasn't in the greatest of shape. Some fins look a bit rough. I tried to get a good look at him in the store but it's hard to tell for sure. Hopefully its nothing but stress from whatever journey is has been on, and with a few months of TLC he will start looking better. He is eating well, both fauna marin pellets and frozen mysis, and is swimming about the tank about 60% of the time, the rest he is exploring some of my hollow rocks.

The cardinals are looking great, I just can't get them to sit still long enough to take a picture of their vents! They'll even come to the front of the tank when I get home from work - pretty sure they've already started associating me with food! :D Clownfish is also doing great, I'm hoping he will start hosting soon.

And now for something completely different!

:D

Making some beer?! Very cool.

I think I will either get a mccoskers flashing wrasse, yellow wrasse, or a melanrus wrasse in the future.

Are your clowns aquacultured or wild?

I feel like wild clowns host in anemones faster than aquacultured clowns.

Yep! Me and my roomates other hobby. This is a Quad - should be 10-12% abv when all is said and done - my biggest beer yet! You can't see, but I'm also bottle conditioning a citra pale ale and fermenting a dubbel. This weekend a Brown is on the docket.

The clowns are aquacultured. Supposedly the breeder is local too, not really sure.

I've read about some people getting pictures of clowns in nems and taping it to the side of the tank. Seems silly to me, but is there any truth to that working?

@Tskiller

on the Apex conductivity probe don't calibrate it right away...let it soak in the tank 1-2 weeks and then calibrate it or you will waste the calibration fluid and get frustrated that the salinity is all over the place after you just calibrated it.... also do you have a temp probe plugged into the PM2, the base unit or both...????

Haha well good thing the calibration fluid wont be here for a few days lol. Really glad you posted that since I had no idea there was a break in period. I'll leave the salinity probe in my tank for a week and then calibrate it with the real solution, i just wont trust the readings until I get it properly calibrated.

I've got it hooked up, and the temp probe plugged into the PM2 so I get temp compensation for conductivity. I plan on getting a second temp probe sooner or later so I get compensation for PH.

don't bother using temp compensation on pH it is not that important, unlike how it is important on the PM2.

I have two Temp probes and just bought me another Apex Gold with the PM2 that I am going to hook up to my NSW containers that I am in the process of building...

Nice tank startup! I bet it's extra nice to sit in front of it and enjoy it with a home brew.
Calibrate the conductivity probe? To set up the temp compensation do you do anything besides plug both probes into the PM2?
Have your clowns started hosting in the anemone? Once I had a fish that was hassling newly added clowns. I taped onto the end of the tank a picture of dozens of large clownfish looking right out from the page for a couple days. No more trouble after that. Maybe the hosting pic works, too.

Calibrate the conductivity probe? To set up the temp compensation do you do anything besides plug both probes into the PM2?

Yes the best way to have less issues with the salinity probe is to first plug in both the temp probe & the Salinity probe into the pm2 select the temp compensation box on the module page and let the salinity probe marinate in the tank for a week or two and if possible to put at an angle to try to avoid micro bubbles, After 1-2 weeks float the calibration fluid in the sump near where the salinity probe to bring the calibration fluid up to temp and then calibrate the probe and it will be ready to read....If you don't let the probe marinate in the sump for a couple weeks you will notice unreliable results from the probe.

Time for a long overdue update! I've been pretty busy with work and travel, but luckily my roomate is willing to keep an eye on things for me.

Params:
PH: 8.1 - 8.2
Salinity: 35PPT
Temp: 78-79
Alk: 9.38
CA: 390
Mag: 1360
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: .08

Time for a poorly white balanced phone camera FTS!

pJhZhT7.jpg

Most of my GHA is gone. A few spots here and there, but now that my parameters are in order, it's been turning white and dieing off.

Since I'm going for ULNS, I'm letting my ALK drift down to about 8 to try to prevent burn tips. When it hits 8~ I'll bump CA to 400 and mag to 1400 and start dosing. Phosphate is...about where I want it. Maybe .04. I'd like my nitrates around 1 to encourage growth, and of course to prevent burnt tips.

I'm running 1/2 cup of BRS Rox .8 and 1/4 cup of phosfiltrum GFO in a BRS mini reactor. Turns out the SpectraPure dual reactor was just waaay overkill. This seems to do a great job in combo with my skimmer keeping nutrients low. Of course, I still have a light bioload.

I have not needed to start dosing 2part yet, but I only have a few cheap tester corals right now. I'm performing 10% water changes weekly, and since the salt mix I'm using is pretty solid and I've only got tiny frags, consumption has not been huge.

Zoas have grown numerous new polyps, and the cheapo SPS/LPS frags I have are looking pretty good! No lost color or bleached out (forgive my crappy photo) and I've moved a couple of them to the top of my tank over the course of a few weeks. I picked up a few mushrooms as well, which are doing fine as well. The nem moved to the side of the tank, and has started hosting the clown. The canary blenny I was a bit worried about at first, he wasn't eating the first week. The second week, he started devouring PE Mysis. :D He is doing fine now.

I did have one loss unfortunately. I had a fish manage to jump through my 1/4 inch netting. Must have happened during the night as all I found was a very dried up fish on the carpet. :( I'm not sure if its worth going to 1/8th inch netting or not for my lid.

Next plans? Pick up a GHL Doser 2 with four pumps, so I can automate 2part, carbon dosing, and when I'm ready, some form of coral food. Probably acropower. I would like a Yasha haze goby and pistol shrimp combo, but they seem to be a bit hard to find. Neptune's has had the shrimp lately, but no shrimp gobies. Dracula goby might be cool too, or griessingeri, if they actually watch for shrimps.

I also want to order a few specific SPS corals and Zoas, but thats hard since I work all week. Might eventually break down and fork over for Saturday delivery if I can't find em local. Things are getting stable enough that I wont feel so nervous putting in nicer things. I've been lusting after some Utter Chaos zoas for YEARS!

I think my Bangai Cardinals are courting? Has anyone bred them before? does this look like the side by side trembling they do before mating?

Back