Reef nutrition

Tumbleweed's Rebuild

As it has been over a year since I posted to my tank thread I thought I should just start a new tank thread, since very little is the same as it was 1 year ago. As some of you know and some don't my wife and I had a daughter last December which put a lot of things on hold. One of them being the tank. Once things started to settle down I decided it was time to redo the tank. The first thing that had to be done was to build a new stand and canopy. The old stand was too small, and was starting to warp and rot. I looked around at different LFS to find a pre build stand and canopy, but could not find one that was the right size or had the look I wanted. I decided that the best option for me was to build my own. The stand is built out of 2X4's and 3/4 MDF.
DSC_0076.jpg

Here is my oldest daughter helping paint.
DSC_0062.jpg

I used 1/2" Oak Board to cover the the frame I then built the canopy out of 1 1/2 white board and covered it with the same Oak Board. The wood is stained with a Mahogany stain, and 5 coats of protectant. The inside of the stand and canopy are both painted with multiple coats of white base coat. Once the and canopy were built I was time to move the tank onto it's new home.
Here are a few pictures of how the tank looks now. I am pretty happy with how the stand and canopy turned out.
DSC_001611.jpg

DSC_000114.jpg

DSC_001711.jpg

DSC_002715.jpg

DSC_003611.jpg

DSC_00529.jpg

As for the equipment in the tank I am running 2 Lumenarc Mini pendents with 250w Radium bulbs as well as 2 48" T5 Actinic bulbs running off of a Icecap ballasts. I have a 35gal sump and 10gal refugium under the tank. The Sump houses the Euro Reef RS 135 skimmer, Mag 9.5 return pump, heater and carbon reactor.

Hi Brain,

Congrats! :star: Your build came out really well (nice proportions). Your critters seem very content. It's nice to see the family sharing in your interests too. Nice work.

Best,
R.K.

Very cool! :bigsmile: Your tank looks very clean right now. It appears as though you made your refugium out of a plastic garbage can? Is it hard to see in your refugium?

RavieReefer said:
Very cool! :bigsmile: Your tank looks very clean right now. It appears as though you made your refugium out of a plastic garbage can? Is it hard to see in your refugium?
Yeah it is a 13-gal Rubbermaid can. Going to build one out of acrylic, just don't have the time or money right now so that is my temp. solution. No I can look down in it from the top and seen in ok.

Back