Reef nutrition

Tunze ATO

Installed my Tunze Osmolator and sensors, but when i plug it in, it fills the sump for a bit and then alarms red "Too High". Not sure why. Pump is below the level of the tubing and the sensors seem fine.

That means it thinks the backup float switch is getting triggered. The easy-fix causes include installing the float below the optical sensor or installing it above, but upside down. Maybe post a pick of how you have the sensors setup with water level showing.

i took the sensor out and it was installed correctly

put it back in the sump and it's fine now

I just actually installed 2 of them one in my biocube and one in my 40b and I have this same problem. I usually unplug my ATO during water changes and what not and when I plug it back in it'll just some times just start dumping water in till I get a too high water error.. this is happening on both. It only happens if I unplug it and replug it back in.

After plugging in again, the Tunze ATO is supposed to pump for a certain amount of time. Are you using the Nano? I use regulars and nanos on different tanks and forget the volume for each. On two I had to switch the jumper inside the pump control box to change the fill time and it solved problems I had in both cases. You might consult the manual or troubleshooting online. A search of the Tunze forum on RC usually turns up my ATO issues and solutions.

There is a dial inside the 3155 control box that allows you to change the voltage which allows the pump strength to be adjusted to compensate for smaller/larger tanks or needing more pump strength to account for additional head pressure. (See picture below)

Depending on the capacity of the compartment you are filling with RO/DI, I suspect that the initial priming that happens everytime you turn on the pump is enough to trigger the high sensor. I suggest you do one of the following

1. On the mangnet switch holder you can adjust the optical sensor height to increase or decrease the spacing between it and the high level sensor/float switch. Increase the delta in spacing between the two.

2. Decrease the pump strength as MolaMola suggested so that less water is pumped in during the initial power on. Note this will also affect the speed at which water is pumped into sump at all times.

3. Use the second magnet Tunze provides in the box to raise the level of the high water level float switch.

1192753bcecb335c7536f7afb68fff83.jpg

Last edited:
Back