Kessil

Twinspot goby opinions?

So I was thinking of picking up a (hopefully) pair of twinspots mainly for sand-sifting duty. I do have a few concerns since I've read some accounts of them slowly starving etc. This, coupled with the fact that I have a scooter "blenny" and a mandarin in the tank already (both chow down on frozen mysis readily) has me a little worried. I know the 2 of them still continually pick at the rocks/sand,but I do have a large portion of the tank covered in macro algae/rubble to help with this. Piscine tankmates are: 2x clowns, sm niger trigger, med lawnmower, 2x baby banggai, scooter blenny, mandarin. I know I'm pushing the bioload limit here, especially as the trigger and banggai's mature, but then that's the excuse to upgrade, right?

So any thoughts on the feeding necessities of the twinspots/possible agression.

And will they sift sand (40g long 4'x1' footprint) near the efficiency that say, a diamond goby (Valencienna puellaris) would?

Any other thoughts, concerns.

Don't do it... haven't seen any live too long yet. No where near what a Valencienna can do, not by a mile.

Thanks Gresham, that's what I was looking to hear. Any other suggestions for anything besides a Valencienna (heard there was a shortage of them recently?)?

I've had a few twinspots and 1 hectors goby, which is similar. I agree with Gresh, they don't last long and I've got 180 & fuge. I currently have 1 that's lasted for ~4 months but if he doesn't make it i'm not going to subject any more to a slow death. He does pick at the sand and sprinkle it, but only a small amount. nothing compared to a sandsifting goby.

why dont these do well in captivity? mine is eating flakes, pellets, and picks at live rock.

anthony, can you chime in on how yours are doing?

Glee your the big time odd one out on this subject. Very few have that experience. They are one fish best left in the ocean.

woot lucky me! sounds like it's a difficult fish to keep because it doesnt eat in aquaria? i havent had it a long time so we will see....it's the only fish in my 6 gallon. fyi, it's eating formula one and two, lol. will give it rod's herbivore food tonight and see if it takes.

Back