Neptune Aquatics

UV sterilizer for IM tanks

So IM just released a line of uv sterilizers that custom fit their nuvo tank overflow chambers. For those of you experienced in uv sterilizers, do you think this is beneficial or just something for people to throw money away on? I know the topic has been discussed before, and recall that flow speed and contact time are key to its effectiveness. I couldnt find the exact specs but the uv bulb should be approx 8" long and my pump is rated at 230gph. Would that be effective? Also I would have to sacrifice either a media basket of chaeto or a filter sock. So is it worth swapping out for this? Thoughts?

It will work as a water clarifier only ( ie it may help keep the water looking "clearer." ) The fact that IM continues to say these will kill parasites in the tank is ridiculous.

It will work as a water clarifier only ( ie it may help keep the water looking "clearer." ) The fact that IM continues to say these will kill parasites in the tank is ridiculous.
Well in the video they actually state that it "reduces pathogens over time" by "mutating the pathogens' DNA, destroying their ability to multiply." Is that a fair or false claim? And is it worth implementing for an IM tank? Do you use a uv sterilizer for your IM120?

Well in the video they actually state that it "reduces pathogens over time" by "mutating the pathogens' DNA, destroying their ability to multiply." Is that a fair or false claim? And is it worth implementing for an IM tank? Do you use a uv sterilizer for your IM120?

I am not a scientist, but I have done a ton of research on this and everything I've read on this indicates that it will not reduce parasites and pathogens. Just not enough exposure time and intensity. I just added a UV sterilizer to my 93 gallon cube (thanks Mike!!!). That unit is three feet long, 25w and the gph is set around 80-100 gph. From what I've learned even that size sterilizer and slow exposure time MAY AT BEST somewhat reduce a parasitic outbreak. My recollection on the IM claims about theirs indicates that UV sterilizers in general can affect pathogens, but they don't specifically say their new small one will do that. I think they are being very disingenuous about this.

I am not a scientist, but I have done a ton of research on this and everything I've read on this indicates that it will not reduce parasites and pathogens. Just not enough exposure time and intensity. I just added a UV sterilizer to my 93 gallon cube (thanks Mike!!!). That unit is three feet long, 25w and the gph is set around 80-100 gph. From what I've learned even that size sterilizer and slow exposure time MAY AT BEST somewhat reduce a parasitic outbreak. My recollection on the IM claims about theirs indicates that UV sterilizers in general can affect pathogens, but they don't specifically say their new small one will do that. I think they are being very disingenuous about this.

Back