Our mission

UXDesigners RSM 250 w/ LEDs

UXDesigners Red Sea Max 250

This is my second RSM 250 (sold my other one prior to relocating here) after trying out a 50 Starphire Cube of which I liked but I had issues with it being rimless. In my last RSM 250 build I retrofitted the lights with all LED's but I wanted to have some T5 supplementation this time around. In this build I decided to run a few less lights and keep 2 T5's, I'm running 2 ATI Blue+.

Specs:

Red Sea Max 250
Rapid LED 32 LED DIY kit (inspired by Radion XR30w Pro) retrofit into stock location
TLF 150 Reactor running NPX Bio-Plastics (Fits in left rear chamber with sponge removed)
Replaced stock fans with SilentX fans
  • Channel 1 (Blues / 8am - 8pm) - 14 Royal Blue Cree XT-E
  • Channel 2 (Color Matrix / 10am - 6pm) - 3 Royal Blue Cree XT-E, 2 Blue Cree XP-E, 2 Red-Orange Cree XP-E, 2 Green Cree XP-E
    Channel 3 (White / 12pm - 4 pm) - 1 Warm White Cree XP-G, 4 Cool White Cree XM-L, 4 Cool White Cree XP-G

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo4.jpg

Nice!
That is quite the combination of LEDs. A bit of everything.

So what does it look like from 10:00 to 12:00 with channels 1+2 on? Still mostly blue, or do other colors come through.

rygh said:
Nice!
That is quite the combination of LEDs. A bit of everything.

So what does it look like from 10:00 to 12:00 with channels 1+2 on? Still mostly blue, or do other colors come through.

Thanks! When channels 1 & 2 the tank has an interesting blend of all the colors. It's definitely blue but more of a purple / warm color than with just actinics. Reminds me of a sunset where there is orange/red mixed in with blue.

sfsuphysics said:
What are the dimensions of that tank? That doesn't look like very many LEDs and I do see quite a few SPS pieces in the picture.

Dimensions are (38L x 21W x 26H”) 65 Gallons. I'm running (32) 3 Watt Cree LEDs along with (2) 39Watt ATI Blue+ T5s. In my previous build I ran (48) 3 Watt LEDs but they were XP-E not XT-E and XM-L's that I'm running now. SPS are thriving, the XM-L's put out more than enough light as I cannot turn the whites all the way up. I'm also not running any optics for better spread and I burnt some coral when I had them on my previous build, lesson learned. Personally I think the blues and color LEDs are enough to sustain any SPS, I only run the whites for a couple hours for growth.

Now, you just gotta get the rest of the sps to play catchup:)
It will be interesting to see the growth from the hybrid light system.
The tank looks bigger than a 65 gal with that add-ons, too.

Back