High Tide Aquatics

Video of 90 gallon Reef display w/5 gallon surge tank + equipment.

I finally got some video of my tank Ive been building, take a look and let me know what you think :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOsBJL4mL38

Press the pop out button for eaiser viewing, I had to film this with my cell phone.

JAR said:
I wish I could do a surge.
I can't do bubbles or noise though.
Awesome!

Both can be solved if you really want a surge. We can talk via email if you do want one :D

One day I will be able to purchase a 2" solenoid valve and then there will be no more bubbles or noise. Just dont want to invest he kind of money right now, before I finish my lighting. Thanks for posting my video, idk Im still leanring the ropes.

GreshamH said:
JAR said:
I wish I could do a surge.
I can't do bubbles or noise though.
Awesome!

Both can be solved if you really want a surge. We can talk via email if you do want one :D

I think it will have to be on the next tank.
My tank is currently running about 1/2 an inch from the rim due to my overflow and return volume.

Plumstr8 said:
One day I will be able to purchase a 2" solenoid valve and then there will be no more bubbles or noise. Just dont want to invest he kind of money right now, before I finish my lighting. Thanks for posting my video, idk Im still leanring the ropes.

Oh I would highly advise against a 2" solenoid valve (which has to be powered to remain open/closed depending on the model). A simple electronic ball valve tends to be much better (and cheaper).

I used to do surge installations :) I've played with most types of valves that could be used for such a thing. Taking into account for replacement parts, maintenance, initial cost, etc. eletronic ball valves win every time.

and FWIW bubbles and noise can be eliminated on the cheap, no costly electronic ball valve needed :)

GreshamH said:
Plumstr8 said:

Oh I would highly advise against a 2" solenoid valve (which has to be powered to remain open/closed depending on the model). A simple electronic ball valve tends to be much better (and cheaper).

I used to do surge installations :) I've played with most types of valves that could be used for such a thing. Taking into account for replacement parts, maintenance, initial cost, etc. eletronic ball valves win every time.

Good to know! I dont really mind the bubbles or the noise, Im only running the surge a couple of hours a day. (when I can enjoy it)
But if I do change my surge later, I might pick your brain :)

yardartist said:
Great frag tank. Can it run looped with the main and separate for QT as needed?

Yep, Ill have to do is shut off the valve supplying water, (from display sump) I have a tiny heater and One Nano Hydor powerhead, that will isolate the system if needed for QT.

bondolo said:
This is a really amazing setup. Do the corals like it? Do you feed into the surge tank and then let it flush into the main tank?

Thanks! The SPS love the surge tank! When I feed the tank, I do a few different methods

1. Spot feeding, all pumps and powerheads off. My coral know when its feeding time the open up when the water movement stops :)

2. Mysis feeding, all pumps and powerheads off. Allows the snails, crabs, and fish to grab some shrimp before it gets blown around he tank

3. Phyto Feast, with normal water movement.

Love the concept of the surge, but like others noise/bubbles are an issue (electronic valves that are PVC are quite pricey too IIRC). That said I do love the rock glued around the edge of the bulk head, kind of makes it not stick out as much.

Back