Jestersix

Volunteering Through Photography

Just a thought, but maybe contact the league supervisor of an afterschool league and offer to shoot actions shots of the kids. Then supply digitals to the parents for free? Prints @ cost? Dunno...I'm sure there's some repercussions or restrictions or something.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. But I do a ton of volunteer photography.

There's no "one" place to get any gigs. But there are tons of organizations out there that would love some help!

The best way to do volunteer photography, is to know what you're actually taking pictures of. Volunteering with your abilities is all about being able to tell the story of what's happening. Most organizations need photos to help them promote their charities and other events. To really capture the right moments, you sort of have to be part of it.

I dedicate my time at volunteering without photography at first, going to meetings, and talking to organizers. I really try to learn everything I can about what it is they're doing. After doing some grunt work of lifting stuff and helping organize whatever I can for them, I'll bring out my camera and start shooting.

Take a few shots, and show them to the organizers. They will be thrilled. Keep doing it, and soon you'll have no problem getting referrals for gigs all over the place.

I've been doing a lot of photography for American Cancer Society's Relay for Life events, but I've done a few other small ones here and there. Mostly from me just doing some volunteer stuff, and people sending me over as a recommendation.

My favorite volunteer work so far has been at the San Quentin Prison =) Anyway, here's some photos I put together on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kinetic/collections/72157618402441564/

Back