got ethical husbandry?

Vortech MP 40W Firmware updating and the Apex wireless module

Well, I picked up the wireless module for my Apex and have updated the firmware of the Apex. I believe the wireless module is in communication with my pumps but I'm not able to set the pump drivers into "ready for download" mode. Mine are not the EcoSmart but the prior generation with I'm pretty sure is Gen 2 as the magnets are plastic coated and the magnet bolt is plastic. The instructions from Apex do not work for me and they are a little unclear about the sequence after logging into the apex, going to Set up module and starting the download to the pumps. Something is causing my pump drivers to not go into the download sequence despite carefully pressing mode and set when powering up and etc.
Anyone this far along can help? I'll talk to Kurt at Neptune Systems Monday but hate to wait that long.

Thanks

Try updating all firmware including the WXM to the latest beta. After that, unplug the WXM module for 10 seconds, plug it back in. Make sure the LED lights on the WXM module are solid green before beginning the update.

Put one of the drivers close to the WXM module and follow the instructions for the WWD pump... i setup > module setup > config module and the select WWD Update

after it has done this, it should say that it was updated and to begin the pump upgrade.. you then follow the instructions of removing power to the driver, and hold set and mode buttons and then at the same time plug the power back in... i really dont know what the colors should look like on the non ecosmart drivers

but make sure you dont exit out of the screen on the apex if you havent updated each WWD pump's firmware

Hey Brian,
I'm up to date with the beta firmware update for the Apex. Also, the green light is on the wireless module. The only thing I didn't do is un plug the module and replug it. That may well make a difference as when I try to start an download to update the pumps, the program just runs and runs looking like it's communicating with the pumps when it is not. I'll try rebooting the wireless module when I'm back home. Good plan. I'm still having problems getting my pump drivers to enter "ready for download mode" with a rapidly blinking light no matter what sequence I use to get into that mode. Thanks for the input.

John

Resetting the wireless module, pumps or Apex doesn't help. Also, the Apex and it's wireless module are now at the highest revision level with the beta update that's available.

As far as unplugging and resetting, I done all that. My issue is that I cannot get either pump when set for Master/Slave or independent to go into the ready for download mode of flashing quickly. Something simple, I'm guessing. Good 'ol Kurt at Apex will surely walk me through it. Thanks for taking time to make suggestions.

John

Solution found with Kurt's help. The pump update needed to take place from the display of the Apex, not the web interface. Once I scrolled to module update on the display and updated the WXM from there, it went just fine THEN I was able to follow instructions provided to put the pumps into update mode and perform the update again from the display of the Apex.

Another vote for Neptune Systems having GREAT customer service by a guy that has a great ability to use logic in solving issues related to configuration and updating their controllers.! Thanks Kurt!

I'm SO close. It's like a little puzzle. Anyway no worries. I also have a Vortech issue that the wet side seems loose in it's bearing and is rattling like crazy. It seems premature for the ceramic bearing to have worn out but when I disassemble the wet side for cleaning and reassemble it, it is not a snug, close fit. One things leads to another. I may need to replace the wet side of my MP 40w's as well as deal with my surely fixable firmware issue. I'll keep you posted! :)

So now I've set the Apex as the master and the two Vortechs as the slaves. I'm able to set a combination of cycles, Reef Crest, Lagoon, Pulse etc. that change throughout the day and set output speed of the cycles to be exactly correct based on observation of the tank when adjusting. The best part is that now, when I pull the wet side of the Vortechs for cleaning, I don't have to physically unplug the Vortechs in order to detach and reattach the wet sides of the pumps. All I do is use my iphone interface and turn the pump off while cleaning and turn it right back on after replacing it on the glass.

I never got the "auto shut off" feature of the pumps to work for me that is supposed to shut the pumps down automatically when the wet side is separated from the tank. BTW, have you ever had the wet side of your pumps "spin" when you get a little slime between them and the glass? Pretty scary! LOL. That's happend a couple times for me and I just clean the contact areas well and it stops. Now I need to get some new hardware to rebuild my wet side as there has been a lot of slop develope in the shaft/magnet/ceramic bearing area and it's getting very noisy when reving up. Have a great week!

Thanks to Brian's research, I now have just what I need "on order" to fix my Ecotech Vortech MP-40w pump rattle. For those of you who have run MP series pumps for more than a few months, you "may" have experienced a growing rattle in the pump caused by wear of the bushing that fits into the ceramic bearing on the wet side. Until recently, the only fix was to replace the wet side at a cost of about $75 bucks for an MP 40. Ecotech Marine now has a parts store that among other items, now sells a "wet side maintenance kit" that includes two new plastic bolts, nuts and washers as well as a new bushing and propeller. The props seem to accumulate enough Coraline algae to put them out of balance after a while so it does make sense to not only take the wet side off and clean it regularly, but to have a wet side maintenance kit in your stock of gear. This way when you start to hear the pumps begin the rattle, you'll be able to deal with it.

From now on, I'm going to ask you to do the research! The post was spot on and doesn't surprise me too much. I could tell "something" had become worn or broken, I just didn't know what. The exploded view looks very familiar! LOL but I didn't realize the bushing could be separated from the prop. I didn't hold out hope that I could just replace the bushing and was expecting to have to replace the entire wet section. HOT DOG! I'll see if Robert and Cerrissa at Neptune aquatics keep them in stock! Thanks for the great time saver. "You the Man"

Edit: Neptune does have the entire wet side of MP 40 pumps but not the maintenance kits at this time. Not a bad idea though! :cool: hint hint, nudge nudge........

Back