High Tide Aquatics

Vortech MP10 == Holy Crap!

In preparation for putting the acros I got from the swap into my tank, I picked up a Vortech MP10 today to give me some variable flow. My thought was to replace one of my two Koralia 2s in my stretch hex 40g with it.

I mounted it and turned it up to max to adjust for vibration and was stunned at the flow. It kicked up a ton of detritus and sediment and I could feel a strong current coming out of it with my hand. With the same test, I could barely feel any current out of the other Koralia 2.

I've now removed both K2s and am waiting for all the detritus and sediment to die down. Very happy owner here.

You will likely find that you end up with a setting just above "low" in the flow control. It's nice to have a choice! I have an MP10 in a 20 gal LPS "specialty" tank and it replaced two pumps that were not programmable. I also like all the Vortecs keeping the wet side "non electrical" and the electrics on the dry side. I get snails that do their version of bull riding by working their way to the front of the discharge and attempting to "hang on" for 7 seconds. My snails all think they are rodeo clowns!

I agree, it really puts strong flow out and is all you need for a small tank.
screebo- have you had any issues with the flow causing your 20 gal to leak? I tried a MP10 on my 20 frag tank and it started leaking in a few days at the seam at the opposite end of the tank. When I removed the MP10 it stopped leaking but I'm nervous the seam is weakened and might leak again some day. :(

Yeah, the Koralia pumps really are in a lower tier of pump as far as flow IMO. Vortech & Tunze are currently at the top, then you'll have your Koralia, Modded MJs, Seios, etc.

That MP10 even is a really strong pump (pricey but strong :D) equivalent of about 3 K2s IIRC.

An MP10 in a small tank is like a tunnel hull racing boat. You don't want to know what "full throttle" is like. Mine would make my tank look like a blender at about 1/2 throttle. Although it's in storage right now, I recall running it on low output. Great pump........really perked things up in the tank and cleaned up my plumbing substantially.

PS I have considered taking a video of the pump riding snails. I could hear them before I saw them. No kidding, knocking around bouncing their shells off the exit vanes. They are motivated by the fine coating of tender algae that grows there! The first time I heard it, I thought my pumps were failing..........duhhhhh........ :~

Back