Kessil

Vortex diatom filters for reef tanks

I've used Vortex diatom filters for years. Yes, they're somewhat clumsy and relatively annoying to clean after useage but nothing else does the same job. I always wondered why they never caught on in reefing. Anyone here old enough to remember these filters? Just FYI, I believe Hunter is the last place in the area that still carries these.

I am interested in these but not reefing, but for freshwater actually. I've used similar diatom filter on discus tanks and they were amazing.

I like em. You still see them available from time to time.
They went out of 'style' when pleated micron filters hit the market. At first, people used DE with the micron filters, but then realized that you really didn't need it.

I think DE filters never caught on in reefing cause they are a pain in the bootie. :D

Jim and I also disagree on vortex being significantly better than any other DE filter. :D

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2398.msg24334#msg24334 date=1189700664]
I like em. You still see them available from time to time.
They went out of 'style' when pleated micron filters hit the market. At first, people used DE with the micron filters, but then realized that you really didn't need it.

I think DE filters never caught on in reefing cause they are a pain in the bootie. :D

Jim and I also disagree on vortex being significantly better than any other DE filter. :D
[/quote]Oh and I guess you're a System One guy Rich? j/k

I think they never caught on because if you're lazy you've just created one of the greatest smells on earth!!!

I have a vortex diatom filter as well. I really only use it when setting up a new tank to polish the water. Works real well in getting the water crystal clear. Tuberider the smell when it sits is great.... lol

O.K. I'll be serious for a sec. How is a filter sock different than a diatom filter when used to temporarily mechanically filter? I understand that the level of particulate size filtered differs between the two, however in the end you are just pulling particulate crap out right? Seems to me a filter sock run for 24 hours or so after a water change is a much easier way to accomplish the same thing. Polishing the water.

BTW, I do have a Vortex that I use occasionally on the job, but I do not use it on my own tank only because I'm lazy.

As you said, diatom filters clean down to a much lower particle size than socks. Other than that, no difference at all. Although I don't tend to run a diatom filter for 24 hours. Usually 4-6 hours is plenty.

Think of it like a canister filter that filters down to a much smaller particulate.. I have a vortex as well.. I think its a necessity for all those iwth planted tanks :) I use it when setting up or re aquascaping a tank.. I've used it in my reef during water change days when I stir up any extra detritus..

I set up my partners nano cube with ls and lr ran the diatom filter for 20 minutes and voila crystal clear water.....

I disagree. Filter socks come in sizes all the way down to one micron. Try to filter out 1 micron in a Vortex :)

Vortex claims otherwise
"The Diatom® Filter is extremely fast and will filter out particles as small as one micron (one millionth of a meter)."
On this page from them
http://www.diatomfilter.com/intro.htm
Certainly, it doesn't start out that fine but after the powder has impacted a bit, I'd buy that #.

Just a note of caution - D.E. is a akin to ground up glass. IF it gets in you lungs in enough quantity, it can do some SERIOUS damage. There is a reason 90% of the D.E. products are no longer offerred even though they are VERY effetive against fleas and other like pests.

That's something a pleated filter of filter sock won't ever do to you.

Excellent point. People in general (me!) should be more careful around their chemicals and equipment. Is pool powder any different? That's what I always used. You know, stuck my head in the 10 lb. box and scooped some up (10 lbs of diatom powder is a BIG box!).

Same thing Jim. BTW, if you don't flock the filter correctly, the DE gets into the tank and does the same number on the corals that it would do to your lungs. :D

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2398.msg24555#msg24555 date=1190096350]
Excellent point. People in general (me!) should be more careful around their chemicals and equipment. Is pool powder any different? That's what I always used. You know, stuck my head in the 10 lb. box and scooped some up (10 lbs of diatom powder is a BIG box!).
[/quote]

It used to be thought of as non harmful, like asbestos was and only in the last 20 years has it really been questioned.

Heck, POPCORN lung is a very similiar ailment and who would have thought breathing freshly poppped pocorn could kill you in the long run :D

Back