Jestersix

water storage/mixing help

I would like to build a more fancy water storage/mixing setup for my garage. I'd like to eventually semi-automate a RODI production/SW mixing system.

Anybody have some good part numbers for some plastic tanks in the following sizes? Can I get these locally (east bay?)
25G (RODI storage)
60G (50G SW plus some head space)

I'm thinking about a multi-tiered system where RODI fills a tank on the top of a stand, then that tank can go to the sump OR to a mixing tank for the SW. Mixing tank then can be drained 100% to the sump. I'd put heaters into the mixing tank and would like a closed loop circulation system or internal or something like that.

If anybody has some pictures of a neat integrated system that would be cool for inspiration. Thanks

Dave

Hi there,

I will say I've seen a guy selling 60 Gal containers on Craigslist that would work well for your salt mixing. As for 25 Gal containers.....I don't know.
I like the idea of the multi tier system. But, I personally would not do it that way exactly. I like the idea of having a tank available to add RO to your mixing tank for evaporation or lowering the salinity. You can get a float switch system that will work great there. But, for your tank top off I would suggest having a separate tank that holds Kalkwasser. I have a 5 Gal bucket that holds a mild Kalkwasser mix for my top off. Seems to work great. This could not be topped off because there is no evaporation and you want control of the kalkwaser strength.
As a final addition, if you are going to do all this plumbing, why not make a nice water change setup. You could easily run a drain tube out of your sump and an input line from your mixing tank. I designed one a while ago when my tank was closer to a drain, but had to move the tank and shelfed the idea. I'll be glad to assist if I can.

Oh yes, I'm thinking about ultimately a very nice automated setup. What I have in mind classifies as a water change setup in your mind I bet... I just want a one-stop shop for creating and holding pure water, creating and holding saltwater, and delivering each to their respective consumers.

I'm tired of dealing with the RODI on the wall, buckets and trash cans, and fully manual systems. I too have seen the craigslist guy for the last year, I guess I can look at it some more - but if anyone knows of some nifty tanks with removable screw lids and some flat surfaces for input/output ports (drillable/tapable) that would help. I've seen plenty of places that sell tanks, I'm just seeing if anyone has a favorite (cheap) local supplier.

thanks,

Dave

I am of little help, but I would be interested in some of the 'nifty tanks' if buying more at one time would be helpful.

[quote author=houser link=topic=1563.msg13849#msg13849 date=1166492045]
Oh yes, I'm thinking about ultimately a very nice automated setup. What I have in mind classifies as a water change setup in your mind I bet... I just want a one-stop shop for creating and holding pure water, creating and holding saltwater, and delivering each to their respective consumers.

I'm tired of dealing with the RODI on the wall, buckets and trash cans, and fully manual systems. I too have seen the craigslist guy for the last year, I guess I can look at it some more - but if anyone knows of some nifty tanks with removable screw lids and some flat surfaces for input/output ports (drillable/tapable) that would help. I've seen plenty of places that sell tanks, I'm just seeing if anyone has a favorite (cheap) local supplier.

thanks,

Dave
[/quote]
Well, I was in Ikea the other day (it's okay, noone saw me there) and I saw some really nice containers in both 20 and 37 gallon sizes. Cheap too, the 37 was around 15 bucks. They look like they'd hold H2O to the brim w/ no prob and had good sides for drilling. But.... you have to go to IKEA!!!!!! EEEEEK!

This guy has 55g drums available from time to time for $5 and is great for storage. You can drill and use bulkheads as it is similar material to the 300g Natural Seawater towers that are used in LFS. Call Lawrence and see if he has any. Most of his drums were housing white vinegar, so all you need to do is rinse in warm water and they're ready to go.

Lawrence Ames
1201 Montgomery Ave
San Bruno CA 94066
M-F 9-5, closed weekends
650-553-9327
lca@gwsfoods.com

hehe
So it's ok to use the vinegar barrels - definitely getting that consensus.
I did find at the very least get some better jugs from OSH over the holidays as suggested above. Now I just need a bigger tank/drum so I can drill bulkheads and hook up pumps and pipes.
Thanks

Food grade white vinegar (10%-20% solution) is used to remove production oils from brand new skimmers to cut down the break-in period. 20% warm vinegar solution used to cleanout skimmer pumps and submersible return pumps every 3-6 months (depending if calcium or kalk reactors are installed) to keep pumps running at top efficiency. 100% vinegar solution used to soak & clean pump impellers and shaft remove any deposits that may have accumulated on them. So, using barrels that stored food grade white vinegar is the safest barrel that you can use. Just rinse in warm water and you're good to go.

Back