High Tide Aquatics

Welcome and an explanation

Thales

Past President
Vince had a great idea in this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=59faac116c99abf6adddf3074d5bb9a2&postid=6822707#post6822707

Funny, I was just thinking of a possible "Pay it forward" type of propagation. I was inspired by Tony (in San Carlos) who recently gave away 6 RBTAs. I was thinking of taking something nice, like some kind of "Master of the Universe" zoos, then giving 3 polyps to someone for free, with the understanding that when it grew to 6 polyps, that person would give away 3 polyps to someone else, with the same understanding. The person can then keep as many polyps as they want. The idea being that the coral is contantly being forwarded to other people for free, with the goal of forward propagation. With an RBTA, I thought, what if you gave away some clones with the understanding that ther recipient must also freely pass on at least one clone (give whatever you got), under the same conditions. Sort of like a GPL (think Linux) of corals! (too bad RBTAs only split when they feel like it!)

Any thoughts? Would the club sponsor this by possibly fragging something? I know the frag workshops are similar, but there isn't any set "condition" to it. I mean, the hope is that frag workshop corals will eventually return to the frag swaps (The do) , but no real hard set understanding.

What do you guys think? Each project coral could have it's own "family tree" thread (in the BAR forums, if not here)so we could track the propagation progress. Like the RBTAs, it would be cool to be able to track it's lineage.

V

I think each coral should have its own thread with updates on how the frag is doing. What I am not sure about if there should be a list of who wants the next piece.

Any thoughts?

I like the idea, but dumb question. What happens if the freebie coral etc. crashes in someones tank? Would the chain revert back to the previous person?

Good question. Since this doesn't have the "protection" of pay it foward, which was do something for 3 people, because if you gave 3 people a frag then it has a bit more of some protection from crashing. Not to mention that it grows exponentially, so if it gets buy the first round of people without dying then 9 people will have some to give, then 27, etc etc.

I know Jim did something like that with some pulsing something or other (I missed out on) but he gave out a bunch of frags, I'm sure there are still some alive versions of that out there, although I don't think I have seen anyone else "pay it foward", but then again it might be a slow grower.

I think a good example of paying it foward is chaeto, while you do occasionally see people attempting to sell it, you can usually find 5x as many people willing to give it away.

Well, sounds fun :)

As far as fragging stuff and keeping track, it does happen informally. If we want to have a frag registry of sorts, I'd like to get in on the fun.

I have a Leng Sy Cap that I'd like to frag out to a couple people. I got this one from SandDollar/Rich, who got it from Mike Paletta, who got it from Leng Sy.

I'll have to pick a zoa or two, and some other stuff also.

Should I start a thread(s) or are we still figuring stuff out?

Now this would be cool. I have a supposedly bluish/pink milli frags that are being grown out that would be cool too. It was generously given by Suasponte to me, and waiting for them to grow out.

I think what I would like to figure out is how to pick who gets what. First come first served? Start a list? For each coral? Should people who put a coral up for grabs get the next pic? Should the person with the frag just pic who they want it to go to and this forum is for keeping track of it. Kind of a quasi registry?
What do you guys think? :D

Does macroalgae count?? I have some cool red macroalgae (I'm sure everyone know which one I'm talking about). I can start giving them out. If it count, should I start another thread?? :D

One other suggestion:
Should we start with people who are more active?? I reason I'm saying that is. I gave coral to several people and they just disappear. Look like they just want to get free coral and don't care about sharing with others.... Just a thought.. :D

What would constitute active?

Would it be possible maybe to wait a little longer with donor #and frag to 2 people to help eliminate the X factor?

I think just as important should be what kind of tank/tank keeper it goes to make sure at least in the early stage of the cycle it isn't going to a home that might foster a crash in the chain.

How about in addition some sort of pseudo husbandry resume with tank specs, inhabitants, time in hobby etc.?

Probably each person with frags has a different reasons for what frags and what reefer.

Some of my stuff, I'd be kinda concerned to get to a person that I'd be confident about caring for the coral.

Other pieces, I'd like to go to someone who really really really liked that coral vs. someone who wanted it just because it was free.

For some of the stuff I have in mind, there already are people that have asked about frags, plus one or more of other reasons might apply, so I would tend to go with those people.

Some people might have some of my coral from swaps or in person, and they may or may not want to be part of the registry/propping for that coral.

Maybe leave it to the person fragging? They could post in their thread whatever their "prerequisites" were, if any: for reefer with a good SPS system... for someone who's really good with goniopora... for the next 2 people to reply to this post... for 3 newbies that joined in the last 4 months... for first 2 people to pm... for a reefer that agrees not to sell frags of this coral... to people that can pick up from xyz location... for the next 2 people to post free frags... to blonde female reefers with piercings that will buy me espresso.... or whatever :)

Maybe doesn't have to be too structured considering people are giving free stuff and doing it for fun. Hopefully there's enough stuff to go around and nobody gets left out or gets their feelings hurt :)

If we go for it and see what happens, we could always go back and rework stuff to reduce problems.

Some people getting frags may not want their names posted until they're ready to frag... in case they get pm'd to death :) Or others may be lonely for pm's, who knows :)

Maybe the fragger and the frag recipient can decide.

Good stuff. Seems like it should be up to the fragger who the piece goes with based on whatever they feel like basing it on.

I think the names should go up right away, and it should be made clear that if you they get pm'd to death, they will not be considered for a frag in the future.

seminolecpa said:
What would constitute active?
I don't know :D ...

I've seen people getting free frag from another members then turn around and selling it. Something I hope that ain't going to happen in our club...

I will start another thread for my macroalgae :D

Project sounds pretty neat if it can get running. Get more pieces out to members, spread the wealth and make some of the coral more common.

Might need one lead person who can chart it out. It would be neat to see where each piece goes and how they keep filtering out. There's no way to keep people from selling, as it is somewhat of an honor system.

I think having a chart would be good, maybe a few simple rules for people who are interested in participating ie. Must give out to blank number of people after, must wait for a board post saying it is available to get it(or doesn't get it at all), no selling of the coral, names would just lay on a chart to map the progress of distribution, etc.

You can just start a thread and say "I have X, who wants some. Then give to the first person on the list (or first several people) who then give to the next on the list of people who want, but don't have it yet. Sort of like BitTorrent for corals?

However we can just give it a shot and see what works out. I have a small piece of that glowing yellow Nepthea (the only thing of real interest in my tank). I'll try with say, a one inch piece of that. We can make it up as we go along.

The ultimate would be a flowchart like diagram for each piece with a link to who gave what to who, and then have a list of people who would like a piece as well.

Let's just try out a few things and see what happens.

Selling is no big deal, but it should be recorded as well, since it is in fact passing it along. Maybe stipulate that it can't be sold, but must be traded?? Or say that you can sell a piece as long as you've passed on a piece (or two).

V

Can we use the web based mapping apps to track the distribution of each coral? Would be way cool rad to see a graphic of the progression over time.

Or else something like a network diagram showing connections between nodes.

Would be awesome to have a sticky with a updatable graphic/map for each of the coral threads.

Vincerama2 said:
I have a small piece of that glowing yellow Nepthea (the only thing of real interest in my tank). I'll try with say, a one inch piece of that. We can make it up as we go along.
Yah, we can make it up as we go. I think the corals don't have to be super special stuff either. I have a Montipora hirsuta that's ready to prop here. It's not an uber-coral or anything, but it's an interesting Monti for its growth structure, to me. I rescued it from a small fragged that was 3/4 RTN. It's about the size of a big lemon right now :)

Back