Cali Kid Corals

Welcome and an explanation

Mr. Ugly said:
Sure, why not macro. Tank raised fish even :)

All good for the wild reefs, no?

I was gonna get on board with fish, as I have banggai babies, but on second thought, fish breeding isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea. So, I guess I'll just offer the fish for sale or trade.
Jim

I love breeding fish but I don't know enough to breed SW fish :( .. When I was a little kid, I helped my uncle breeded fancy gold fish and it was so fun.... Maybe someday....

Maybe those who haven't bred fish, but are really serious about trying still could get into this chain/registry thing. The person offering fish could mentor the newbies by providing info and answering questions on the thread for that fish.

Maybe not as many people would try to raise fish vs corals, but it would be so cool if someone like Jimsar could teach a couple newbies, and that turned into a bunch of people over time.

I really wish I had the time to write some software to do this, it would be pretty cool. If I had the time I'd probably have some Database tracking what goes to who/where etc - then hook it up to Google Earth for some visual mapping. Anyone else know .Net c#? Maybe we could do a club venture together on this?

Yep, database and Google Earth. That's what I was thinking. Wish I were a code geek :(

Dave, maybe a programmer or two could work on this, and you could project manage?

Hehehe... I'm calling *you* a geek, and it's with the utmost awe and respect too!

I'm a techie geek... but not a programmer :(

For now, we can store data on a simple spreadsheet. Data points can be

(For each PARENT COLONY coral, have one table with entries of)
- original frag id (just some name or number, original donater can name it, just for fun)
- donater or 'parent'' reefer
- recipient reefer
- date of donatation
- size ? (just for reference)

in another table (one global table), we can track
- reefer name
- reefer ID# (to normalize tables) (if this forum has User ID numbers, that would make this simpler)

Each donated frag (frag of original coral id #X) would have one entry, so we would track the fragged piece itself. Very easy data structure. With that data (reefers can have an arbitrary ID#) you can map the lineage, and also draw/track frag location by recipient reefer.

This is actually much easier than geneology, because frags have only one parent! If, by some crazy chance, a frag somehow sexually reproduces, we call it a new parent-colony.

Easy to implement in Excel, which is simple to later import into an actual DB (I favour MySQL for its freeness)

One person can be keeper of the Reefer Table, with reefer names and ID updated in a sticky post on this forum (that is the only global unique infor we really need) and each "chain originator" can take a copy of the spreadsheet template, kept in the same posting. If the chain originator does not want to maintain the data, that's fine, someone else can volunteer to do it (I could do it), just as a way to keep the threads from going nuts with data. We could try that to start until something more automatic evolves.

We can start a new thread in this forum with suggestions, with some sample spreadsheets. Basically an RFC thread for this purpose (Request For Vomments).

V

PS. Sorry, who was the geek again? ;)

Ha ha! Sorry, please NO Vomments! Though, come to think of it, that's pretty funny on several levels! I spaz out on V and C keys for some reason. When I type "Practice" I almost always type "Practive" I don't know why! (Which is weird for a guy that has both a V and a C in his own name!)

V(ince)

Some people had vommented(hehehe) about not being able to put "rare" stuff into the prop project.

I posted a couple more that are merely "sorta interesting". Would be good to get people looking at stuff other than "officially cool" corals, no?

Whatever we prop, it's all aquaculture and benefits the reefs through spreading and diversifying coral appreciation and information :)

i need to check these boards more often. i think this is a great idea and have on a limited basis done the same with free cheato and xenia i have gotten in the past.
I just got a new Acan from dolphin that could use a slight trim if anyone wants to talk me through it. :D

Back