Jestersix

What 250 SE Bulb Do You Guys Recommend ?

I'm placing a order for lighting tommorow. This is what I have so far:

Lumatek 250/400 Electronic Dimmable/Multi-Wattage Ballast

LumenMax Elite - Mogul

What bulbs do you guys recommend ?

Ushio Aqualite 14K Metal Halide Lamps

Elos Spectrachrome 14K Lamps

Radium HRI 20K Lamps

All that HUGE/PERFECTIONIST amount of DIY work you are doing, and you are not going LED.
????????
I don't get it.
:)

Personally, I think Radiums are a bit too-blue.
Which does not mean that you should not get them
Honestly, it means this is probably one of the topics where BAR advice might not be so helpful.
Personal preference on color and bulbs is SO different.
As much as you have invested - buy a few different bulbs - try them - and either return/CL the ones you do not like.

Tumbleweed said:
I use the Radiums on my tank and love them. They stay blue, never noticed a shift out of the blue spectrum when as they age.

Are you using any atinics ? or b/c the Radiums run blue you don't need them ?

rygh said:
All that HUGE/PERFECTIONIST amount of DIY work you are doing, and you are not going LED.
????????
I don't get it.
:)

Personally, I think Radiums are a bit too-blue.
Which does not mean that you should not get them
Honestly, it means this is probably one of the topics where BAR advice might not be so helpful.
Personal preference on color and bulbs is SO different.
As much as you have invested - buy a few different bulbs - try them - and either return/CL the ones you do not like.

As much as I like LED's, I don't think they can handle a tank my size solely. I will supplement w/them (leaning torwards Reefbrites). I did like the Phoenix 14K's on Patrick's tank from the SF Tour though. I know a lot of BAR members use Radiums...maybe a poll is in order ?

Nice selection of ballast & reflector! Use HQI setting of lumatek if you run Radium, I am almost 100% certain it will turn out to be bright white/ice blue look. IIRC 250W radium running on HQI output similar PAR as Phoenix 14K, the look is similar as well.

Running LED on such big coverage is too costly, maybe it work out for LPS tank with few SPS only.

ryanjiang said:
Nice selection of ballast & reflector! Use HQI setting of lumatek if you run Radium, I am almost 100% certain it will turn out to be bright white/ice blue look. IIRC 250W radium running on HQI output similar PAR as Phoenix 14K, the look is similar as well.

Running LED on such big coverage is too costly, maybe it work out for LPS tank with few SPS only.

Interesting take on the HQI setting. I just don't want to go through the hassle of getting different bulbs and having to sell them later. I might just wait on them until I can checkout some members tanks. Any tank tours coming up ? ;)

I know plasmas could light my tank with ease, but I just don't want to take a 2nd on the house to do it. :O

Waiting and checking members tanks seems like a very good plan.
Lighting color is so critical.
My guestimate is that my LEDs will be done in about 2 months. Maybe I can change your mind then.
Unless I change my mind first. My current lights are LED + T5, and so far, I have not
yet hit the color I want with pure LED. We shall see.

BTW: I am not a big fan of plasma.
Sure, great efficiency like LED, but even LESS choice of color.

Regarding cost: (plasma/led)
1) We live in California. Electricity cost is very high.
2) Those bulbs you replace every year are not cheap.
It does not take that long for those super-expensive led/plasma lights to break even.
Do the math.

Jim, I have the Lumatek 250/400 ballast also with 250W radiums. Still need to hook it up though.... Also gonna use blue RB's and 50/50 RB's for supplemental lighting. Give me awhile though before I put it all together. :) Ryan's correct the Radiums need to run at HQI which is like running it at 300W.

rygh said:
Waiting and checking members tanks seems like a very good plan.
Lighting color is so critical.
My guestimate is that my LEDs will be done in about 2 months. Maybe I can change your mind then.
Unless I change my mind first. My current lights are LED + T5, and so far, I have not
yet hit the color I want with pure LED. We shall see.

BTW: I am not a big fan of plasma.
Sure, great efficiency like LED, but even LESS choice of color.

Regarding cost: (plasma/led)
1) We live in California. Electricity cost is very high.
2) Those bulbs you replace every year are not cheap.
It does not take that long for those super-expensive led/plasma lights to break even.
Do the math.

When I can see first hand a tank that can grow SPS consistantly without major color loss (brown corals) and/or bleaching I may be able to be sold on LED's as something other then supplemental lighting. Have you factored in at all how much more you will need to run heaters without traditional type lighting? I am guessing during the nights and winters your tank heating costs are going to increase significantly.

sfboarders said:
Jim, I have the Lumatek 250/400 ballast also with 250W radiums. Still need to hook it up though.... Also gonna use blue RB's and 50/50 RB's for supplemental lighting. Give me awhile though before I put it all together. :) Ryan's correct the Radiums need to run at HQI which is like running it at 300W.

John,

LMK when you get your lights running...I would be very interested to see the color rendition.

Back