Neptune Aquatics

What do you have under your stand to protect the floor?

I have hardwood floors and am considering just an extra coating or two of polyurethane. My wife mocks this and says I should put plastic down. I think plastic will just trap any errant moisture whereas polyurethane will help se the wood and keep the water out of he cracks.

What, if anything is good under the tanks stand?

This Stand will have an empty rectangular footprint, but the stand has a floor inside it.

Pretty much no airflow under the tank to dry up spills. Though I could drill some before setting it up.

V

There is no coating for wood, other than epoxy, that will totally stop water or moisture from penetrating. HW floors have the added issue of not being a solid surface. Each board will have gaps that allow water to enter.

So what can you do?

Don't spill any water! :) Be a perfect aquarium keeper.

I'm really kidding about that. We all have small/large water leaks and spills. Minimize them as much as possible. Keep a towel handy/on the floor while you work around the tank.

Probably the best thing you can do is realize there will be damage. If the floor is new, make sure you have some spare flooring so the tank area can be repaired when you sell the house or move the tank. If the floor has been in for some time try to find the same flooring and store it. That's not easy.

Another approach is just expect to replace the floor when you move. This is not really any different than owning a dog, especially a large dog. They will damage the floors. Just a cost of having that pet.

Oh. The plastic! If moisture does get past it, it will slow drying. Wet wood needs to breath. I can't image plastic looking good and being effective at the same time.

Yeah the key is the airflow WHEN you spill water. Matt Wandell keyed me in on some neato floor tiles that are plastic but they hang above the floor and allow air to flow under them, I think he said they use some at the Academy but I might be mistaken. They aren't cheap though, like $5 per square foot.

I have all my stereo gear and satellite box.
Really. :eek:
Some plastic to to prevent splash.
Big spills are in the garage.

OK, now I'm thinking that I'll cut some air holes (in the floor of the cabinet of the stand) so I can get a fan working for under-tank spills. Protect them with a "standpipe" so spilled water doesn't just flow under the stand.

Home improvement stores have vinyl sheet that will similar to the color or the HW floor, if they don't have exact match then you can stain it. Get the vinyl sheet and put it under the stand and you will be OK for small drip. If it big drain then nothing can protect it.

Back