High Tide Aquatics

what is a good price for a pair of bellus angels

JRocha

Supporting Member
I have a pair of bellus angels that are about 4 to 5 inches each one. they are getting a bit too big for the tank and haven't truly decided to sell them. if I can get them out what do you think is a fair price?

Healthy and eating? How long have you had them? Any swim bladder issues?

I have always said that "used" fish that are disease free and acclimated to captivity should be worth more than those from a LFS. It's actually a more desirable specimen and you don't run the same risk that it will drop dead overnight in the first few weeks. Male G. bellus are particularly difficult to find and get in good shape. If I was in the market for them I'd pay $400-500.

i've had them for about 3 months now and they are very healthy and eating like pigs. they eat out of my hands. they are completely free of any disease as are all 30 plus fish in my tank. hmmm. that is very interesting. I might have to rethink selling them. I just don't really trust angels in my tank. but they are very beautiful. thanks for your input matt

ya 130 for both seems crazy now that I have gone online and looked up some prices from different sites and I should really think about how much I am willing to sell them for. I mean I really don't need to sell them but money talks. we'll see.

i got them from someone else who has had them for god knows how long. and when you have over 30 fish that are all about 4 to 5 inches in a 240 gallon reef, it gets really crowded. they fight with my 8 inch vlamingi and 5 inch desjardini. i don't want any serious fights. i have removed well over 10 fish in the past because of their behavior problems(eating coral, fighting, and size etc.)this is just another one of those things. you have to see my tank to see what I am talking about. i will post a video of the tank tomorrow.

Are they in a reef tank because I have heard Bellus Angelfish are not exactly the most reef safe aanimal. So if they are in a reef tank you might want to move them.

JRocha said:
ya 130 for both seems crazy now that I have gone online and looked up some prices from different sites and I should really think about how much I am willing to sell them for. I mean I really don't need to sell them but money talks. we'll see.

At LEAST 200! For $130, put me first in line! ;) 4-5" is approaching the max. length for a bellus in captivity. I would keep them if I were you. Just enjoy them - get rid of something else! I'm sure they look awesome in your tank. Bellus are deep water angels, and I believe are reef safe. Not reef safe as in 'mainly reef safe', but actually reef safe. They're from the genicanthus genus as opposed to centropyge, or your flame, potter's, rusty, etc angelfish where you're rolling the dice. I'd have no hesitation in putting them in a large reef tank with lots of precious corals.

Just note - They're sometimes prone to swim bladder disease since they come from much deeper waters. Don't think this is always lethal, but it's something to look out for.

thanks for the info. what signs of bladder disease are there? Man you guys are really making me feel bad about getting rid of my angels. maybe you're right. I'm gonna sleep on it and will go from there. thank you to all for your facts and opinions. very much appreciated.

nudibranch said:
Are they in a reef tank because I have heard Bellus Angelfish are not exactly the most reef safe aanimal. So if they are in a reef tank you might want to move them.

It's actually the opposite. ;)
Genicanthus family are the most reef safe angels.

I paid $75 for female and $150 for male on my pair of bellus.

No, seriously...Keep them. Pretty hard to come by IMO...If they came from someone else who had them for a while, they would have developed swim bladder by now. Even better for you ;) A sign of swim bladder is a crooked-ly swimming fish...Kinda hard to explain. You'd know, though. And they don't have it! :bigsmile:

so here is the video but I messed up and filmed it sideways. its a video of the entire tank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFEqt1DuzYY

JRocha said:
I guess you not selling after u agree to sell for $130.00?It's cool dude.good luck.:(

lapsan

the problem is getting them out of my tank and for 130 its not much to disassemble my tank and disturb everything. Sorry lapsan. the only fish in my tank that are easy to get are my wrasses. they jump in my hand and I pick them up and laugh about it all the time. Plus they are worth alot more than I thought they were. I was just going off of what derrick told me was a fair price for both but it would have only been fair to you and not me for 130. That is why I posted the question after. It would have been a good idea to do this first, instead I look like a jerk and I do apologize for that. last but not least I was ignorant to the fact that they are deep water angels and that they are completely reef safe and how hard to get to survive in a fish tank due to their swim bladder issues. Those are a lot of factors that made me change my mind. Thanks everyone for all your facts.

Back