Our mission

What not to do when drilling glass

Hole 1
hole1.jpg

Hole 2
hole2.jpg

Hole 3
hole3.jpg

The bit is pretty dull so I apply a bit more pressure than needed :-[ .. The suck part.. It's not my tank... I feel like sh*t now .. :-[
You can see it didn't start out good and it ended up not great either.. >:(

I used to work in a glass shop. the best trick is 1. use a sharp bit(obviously) 2. go (drill) very slow. 3.(some may not know this) use lots ofturpentine as a cutting fluid in the area being drilled. it help dissipate heat and reduces friction. with a good bit, it it should take about 10 minutes average to drill 1 hole. by the looks of the picture, the glass got too hot and had too much pressure. that sucks about your tank. sorry to hear it. best of luck with the next one.

Yeah the bit is pretty dull that's why I apply too much pressure than the glass can handle .. I drilled over 30 holes (I know it's not that many ;D) and this is the first time I messed up. There is a first time for everything ;D ..

30 holes and that's the first one you choked? you're doing ok then. when i worked for the glass shop there were guys there who couldn't do one. lol. it still suck bad the first time it happens. chuck that bit and get a new one. then you'll be all set.

Back