Jestersix

What to do with a dying/dead plate coral

L/B Block

Supporting Member
For a multitude of reasons, it looks like the plate coral has died (most likely) or is dying.
It is probably 75% covered in white.

Reading in another forum, it was discussed to not necessarily dispose of it as it would generate "buds"

Any truth to this or should we dispose of it ASAP? I have been trying to hand feed it but the polyp doesn't move nor does the tentacles so I assume it's far gone to coral heaven.

All other livestock (including other coral) seems good to go...so if a dying organism poses a threat I'd rather it begone.
Sorry for the crappy pic.
IMG_1814.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a bit of an expert on killing plates and once they start to go they are gone. Some corals can be clipped and will regain health, but not plates in my experience. I'd get it out.

Fungia plate corals definitely can bud "babies" months after complete death of the original coral. There is a real biology term for this known behavior but it escapes me at the moment. It is not that this coral could come back, it is new corals growing from it. It is specific to these and related species, not a general property of coral. You should keep the dead skeleton, just keep the algae off and see what happens.

I know I never pull out a dying coral unless it's 100% gone. I've never had a fungia but I continue to be surprised at how far gone some corals can get and still come back from it.

The whole budding months after dying is interesting. I'd believe it though. The picture of it looks legit.

I found the term, these buds are called "anthocauli" and it's a form of asexual reproduction that can appear 1 to a few months after it seems like the plate is completely dead. Supposedly it happens in the majority of cases when the skeleton is left in good conditions.

Back