Cali Kid Corals

what to do with a whole crab

Do you have a local fishmonger? They would have the best idea where you can get them, if you want a bunch I can get you a bushel that's a lot of oysters though ask the BOD ;).

Hahahha.. I would call around for guys in your area. IF they are indeed bringing stuff in all the time it shouldn't be a problem. The guys that just middlemen fish have a harder time because they don't really stock anything.. Most places will not turn a cash customer away :) You just have to find someone who has what you are looking for.. I like the hog islands as well., They are a milder oyster.. Those are pacifics similar to a kumamoto or sweet water , right Jeremy?

Guess who supplied Hog Isalnd with their broodstock :) hint hint hint ;)

Any time anyone gets an extra Shiro laying around and it's fresh, keep me in mind :)

It's ok PETA won't slap Doug too hard, he's line fishing as opposed to trawling :D

Any worry about all the mercury content in those albacore? I'm not a big fish person, but I can't resist me an albacore tuna sandwich :D

Just drink green tea every day and you won't ahve to worry about mercury :)

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5232.msg64969#msg64969 date=1227050873]
It's ok PETA won't slap Doug too hard, he's line fishing as opposed to trawling :D

Any worry about all the mercury content in those albacore? I'm not a big fish person, but I can't resist me an albacore tuna sandwich :D

[/quote]

Most of the mercury you will accumulate in your body comes from the air we breathe courtesy of our good friend China and their coal burning power plants. So eat away you have nothing to fear.

[quote author=fishnfst link=topic=5232.msg64877#msg64877 date=1226977021]
I like the hog islands as well., They are a milder oyster.. Those are pacifics similar to a kumamoto or sweet water , right Jeremy?
[/quote]

Similar in flavor to the kumamoto, but larger and not quite as sweet. They are good for the BBQ or raw, that's the hook with them, they fall somewhere in between.

You can't beat the kumamoto's for raw though, I just had a few on the half shell about an hour ago, yum!!! I also had a bloody mary oyster shooter with a hog island, that's damn fine as well. Oysters are so tasty!

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=5232.msg64973#msg64973 date=1227052733]
[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5232.msg64969#msg64969 date=1227050873]

[/quote]

Most of the mercury you will accumulate in your body comes from the air we breathe courtesy of our good friend China and their coal burning power plants. So eat away you have nothing to fear.

[quote author=fishnfst link=topic=5232.msg64877#msg64877 date=1226977021]
I like the hog islands as well., They are a milder oyster.. Those are pacifics similar to a kumamoto or sweet water , right Jeremy?
[/quote]

Similar in flavor to the kumamoto, but larger and not quite as sweet. They are good for the BBQ or raw, that's the hook with them, they fall somewhere in between.

You can't beat the kumamoto's for raw though, I just had a few on the half shell about an hour ago, yum!!! I also had a bloody mary oyster shooter with a hog island, that's damn fine as well. Oysters are so tasty!
[/quote]

Mercury has little effect on adults at the amount we get via food, but kids is a whole seperate story or women wanting kids :)

They're good, but not the best IMO. Worth $11 a dozen locally I'd say though :)

I have to try that Hog Island stuff.. Mitch, lmk if you find some local or if you get them from Jeremy, do you want to split 1/2 and 1/2?? I can't eat the whole bushel ;D ..

Tokyo Fish Market in Berkeley http://www.yelp.com/biz/tokyo-fish-market-berkeley-2

This place is a true gem, they usually have 3-6 varieties of shooting oysters, including Hog Island (also my personal favorite). If I remember right prices run from $.55 to $.75. The mongers are always excellent about knocking before bagging, I have never got a dud in close ~200 some oysters from them :)

Their sashimi grade maguro, toro, and hamachi will make you cry with most of the cuts under $20/lb.

this Sunday its going to be watching the Jets vs Titans, oysters with a fresh spicy cucumber relish, and a "Effen" hot bloody mary :)

Back