Kessil

Where can I find information around nearby tide pools

Hello hivemind,
I am looking for resources to educate myself about the nearby tide pools. I know very little about them, i know these are temperate (cold water) reefs, have starburst anemone.. but thats all. I am looking for books, website, any local institute that study them, tour them etc.
Thanks in advance,
ranjib

Reactions: JVU
There's no better way to find information about the local tide pools than to be there. I have visited many along the northern coast near Sea Ranch which I find to be the best area because not many venture that far up. Lots of urchins, mussels, hermit crabs, crabs, snails, octopi, fish, anemones, sea stars, kelp can be seen during a low tide. Try going during a -1 or less tide. Make a day trip of it and pick up oysters at Tomales Bay.

I have also been to the one in Moss Beach.
http://www.fitzgeraldreserve.org/newffmrsite/visit/

I recently visited Cabrillo National Park in SD which was beautiful as well but the docents were very strict at lifting up rocks.

You can get a lot of info about CA tide pools at Steinhart, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Aquarium by the Bay, and any other coastal Aquariums.

Fitzgerald Marine Reserve in Half Moon Bay area (Moss Beach maybe) and a bit up the coast from it is my all-time fave...Princeton. The Reserve is excellent because it has info and docents right there - it's great. Check a tide table or online to be sure it is low tide when you visit. Find a wesite about it to tell you good tides for that location.
Right in Alameda is Crab Cove, an East Bay Regional Park. Kinda small, but cool because it has the trifecta of rocky shore, mudflat and sandy beach all right there. Visitor center has info to prepare you. Eel grass beds right there, too.
North a bit is Salt Point State Park, which is also great.
A great one in Marin is the Duxbury Reef, but I forget what it is called. It is near Bolinas. That is not helpful, sorry.
Short answer: Fitzgerald. You will not be disappointed.

There's no better way to find information about the local tide pools than to be there. I have visited many along the northern coast near Sea Ranch which I find to be the best area because not many venture that far up. Lots of urchins, mussels, hermit crabs, crabs, snails, octopi, fish, anemones, sea stars, kelp can be seen during a low tide. Try going during a -1 or less tide. Make a day trip of it and pick up oysters at Tomales Bay.

I have also been to the one in Moss Beach.
http://www.fitzgeraldreserve.org/newffmrsite/visit/

I recently visited Cabrillo National Park in SD which was beautiful as well but the docents were very strict at lifting up rocks.

You can get a lot of info about CA tide pools at Steinhart, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Aquarium by the Bay, and any other coastal Aquariums.
Thank you. My daughter and I love tide pools. We always stop at the beach near monterrey Bay aquarium and the warf.

Now we have a trip planned here for Feb 17th.

Natural bridges state beach in Santa Cruz has some decent tide pooles to the north ofthe beach. You’ll see all the people over there during low tide. Worth your time.

I'm so excited about these places to visit. Written in places to go for the next three months. We are so unfamiliar with the coast that all we know are the tourist areas.

I appreciate this info a lot.

@MolaMola @glee @boun11 thank you for sharing this information. I'll roll up a google spreadsheet to consolidate this. I think it very valuable for everyone in the forum. I know very little about our nearest coast, and would love to learn /explore them with my son (3 year old :) ).
Thanks again, ranjib

Fitzgerald Marine Reserve in Half Moon Bay area (Moss Beach maybe) and a bit up the coast from it is my all-time fave...Princeton. The Reserve is excellent because it has info and docents right there - it's great. Check a tide table or online to be sure it is low tide when you visit. Find a wesite about it to tell you good tides for that location.
Right in Alameda is Crab Cove, an East Bay Regional Park. Kinda small, but cool because it has the trifecta of rocky shore, mudflat and sandy beach all right there. Visitor center has info to prepare you. Eel grass beds right there, too.
North a bit is Salt Point State Park, which is also great.
A great one in Marin is the Duxbury Reef, but I forget what it is called. It is near Bolinas. That is not helpful, sorry.
Short answer: Fitzgerald. You will not be disappointed.
Ive been to Duxbury in Bolinas and it is a great location too. It's a quaint little town.

Back