got ethical husbandry?

Where to buy rare saltwater fish in SF Area

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any stores that carried a good variety of rare saltwater fish not just the usual stuff. A store like House of Fins or something like that.

Thanks for the help in advance.....

No such place exists. There is nothing like HOF or G.A. here in the Bay Area, or even in Cali. Rare fish, sure, but not as much under one roof.

Online or pre-order is your best option. Sitting on costly fish is hard for most LFS to do.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Where would be the like Top 3 Places for rare saltwater fish in the SF area? I don't really want to buy anymore fish online because sometimes they come dead. I just got a Blue Line Angelfish that arrived dead today and to me personally I don't think it right to just keep buying fish and having them die. It was such a cute little fish that it kinda made me sad sounds stupid I know but I felt bad for it.

xinumaster said:
You can try atlantisaquarium in Hayward. The new owner always have clarions in his store.

And that is the only rare fish Steve has at Baja Reef (no such thing at ATL in Hayward anymore). Steve is not in the rare fish business and HARDLY a HOF or GA alternative.

c.declivisowner said:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Where would be the like Top 3 Places for rare saltwater fish in the SF area? I don't really want to buy anymore fish online because sometimes they come dead. I just got a Blue Line Angelfish that arrived dead today and to me personally I don't think it right to just keep buying fish and having them die. It was such a cute little fish that it kinda made me sad sounds stupid I know but I felt bad for it.

Hold the phone... you think Blue LInes are rare? Just what are you looking for? The rarest dealer online is the Divers Den and those fish walk on water.

HAHA no I'm just giving an example I'm NOT looking for like SUPER rare like Narcrosis Angelfish but something like I REALLY want would be a French Butterflyfish or Gold back Triggerfish possibly a nice angel that's why I asked you guys for a good store cause if I see a nice fish in person I'm more willing to spend the money. Don't get me wrong I love tons of cheap fish too like Venustus Angelfish and Blue Line's have always been on my wanted list but I don't want to dive like 2.5 hours down to SF to go to a bunch of stores with a few yellow tangs and a couple clowns(no offense). I'm in Placerville by the way which is like half way between Sac and Tahoe. I guess there's no real stores like that down there?

Can you produce the scientific name for your fish in question? I've never heard of a French butterfly. If you can afford these rare fish then you can afford the $20 membership dues, and you get all of the privileges including private messaging.

Bluelines are not extremely rare, but they are seasonal. so it makes it harder to fine. I'll looking for a couple myself. Tec from Blue Ocean was a great place to find nice hard to find fishes. but his his out now, he still operates out of his home. If you hit him up and ask him to find you something. I'm pretty sure he could get it.

Kensington Reefer said:
Can you produce the scientific name for your fish in question? I've never heard of a French butterfly. If you can afford these rare fish then you can afford the $20 membership dues, and you get all of the privileges including private messaging.

Prognathodes guyanensis

c.declivisowner said:
HAHA no I'm just giving an example I'm NOT looking for like SUPER rare like Narcrosis Angelfish but something like I REALLY want would be a French Butterflyfish or Gold back Triggerfish possibly a nice angel that's why I asked you guys for a good store cause if I see a nice fish in person I'm more willing to spend the money. Don't get me wrong I love tons of cheap fish too like Venustus Angelfish and Blue Line's have always been on my wanted list but I don't want to dive like 2.5 hours down to SF to go to a bunch of stores with a few yellow tangs and a couple clowns(no offense). I'm in Placerville by the way which is like half way between Sac and Tahoe. I guess there's no real stores like that down there?

Talk to John at Your Reef in Roseville. He won't have it in stock, but he has great access.

Not to take away from any store but John at Youreef can come up with some very beautiful rare fish. He's in Roseville Ca. Just down the road and over a bit from you.

Neptunes for a great selection

Diablo Corals if Jesse is down to order for ya. I think he would no problem.

Thanks for the comments guys, I know John at your reef pretty well he's a very nice guy. I'll talk to him next time I go in and see what we can come up with. Oh and also thanks for the Tinkeri offer I have always wanted one but unfortunately my Declivis Butterfly won't allow another Chaetodon species of fish that's so closely related. She allows my P. Marcellae but when I added a Burgess Butterfly there was non-stop chasing and I've had the Declivis for three years now so she is here to stay.

Thanks for the help

Back