High Tide Aquatics

Which hosting, fiicker etc do you like?

I've been pretty happy with photobucket. No idea which service is best for "rights", but for ease of use and stability, PB works great for me.

The rights part is HUGE. Some actually have provisions written in to be able to use your stuff. I know FB has a clause like that :(

Flicker seems to have more professional photogs on it.

But hey, you have a plug-in for nearly all of them :lol:

If rights matter to you, a paid service which I'd point you to is bpase
Their TOS is very explicit on your rights and isn't buried in jargon.
Any images uploaded by a user remain the property of that user or whatever party holds the copyright.
By uploading images, a user does not surrender his/her copyright or ownership of the images.

I like imageshack myself, but then again I don't particular care about my "rights" to a photo, I can't imagine you ever lose rights to photos, you might just grant the site rights to use them as well. If that's a big deal, then eh.. set up a webserver and host them all yourself :D

There is an ongoing article in NAPP's Photoshop User magazine about this issue. Some sites do in fact retain all rights if you upload it onto them. I'll read them again tonight and post the sites to stay away from.

Crap, Flickr was one along with FB mentioned in the article of the issue sitting here on my desk. too bad it's not all that easy to decipher the UA :( It's especially hard since Yahoo owns them.

http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/utos-173.html

I've been using Photobucket. It's a little slow using a free account because of the ads that pop-up when uploading and doesn't always handle multiple files smoothly. I've seen duplicate uploads occur because my album did not update in a "reasonable" amount of time. OK, I'm a little impatient. :) The image links work very well and quality seems fine too.

(Disclaimer: I work for Google)

I've been using picassaweb.google.com with no complaints. Integrates well with the picassa desktop app.

I am trying to decide if I should use PB or Flicker or some other site like that, or if I should use something like Coppermine or Gallery2 and host it on my own site.
I am tired of LR's individual galleries, but want to be able to upload directly from LR.

I hate decisions.

Thanks! The issue wasn't hosting ( I got me a ton of that ) it was the ease of upload and integration with Lightroom. I went with Gallery2 and am pretty happy so far. I can set up permissions, enable comments and a whole bunch of other stuff if I want to. Best of all, straight from lightroom to the web.

www.richardrossphotography.com

Back