got ethical husbandry?

Who has a Nikon Camera??

Which type of SD card do you use? I'm thinking about getting the new Lexar 8GB Professional 133X SDHC. Does anyone have a Lexar 133x SDHC card?

Not all nikons use SD cards, a lot use compact flash as well.

The memory card you use doesn't really have to do with a specific camera. (unless it's a sony).

I would recommend a few 2gb cards rather than one big one. If it fails, you only lose a portion. If you lose one, well, same thing.

I have a Lexar 133x 2gb, a Sandisk Extreme III 2gb, and a Kensington 1gb. They all work fine.

it's faster sorta when you transfer from your card to computer, but in terms of camera performance, it doesn't make a difference. it's way faster than your camera could go at 133x. So don't buy it thinking you'll get better performance, because it'll probably perform as well as one that's not 133x.

well if it's a good price might as well, but there's no need to pay more for the speed as it won't help camera performance... if you ever upgrade you may probably be getting CF cards anyway =(

Depends on how fast your burst speed is. If it's a faster card, it will be able to keep up w/the speed and clear the buffer quicker. The other side where you can see the difference in speed is during transfers. For the D40x, as Art said, it won't really matter.

Most of the larger cameras use CF cards vs. SD cards. I currently use one 16GB, 2x4GB, and 2x2GB cards. Fastest of the lot is the 16GB, which is 233x speed. Makes a real difference when you're downloading hundreds of files.

Faster dl does help. I filled up my 1GB card and it took a long time to transfer to my system. ::)

Need more card Eric?? ;D

I did see a 32GB card recently. :D

The 16GB card was cheap so I sprung for it. It's been working well so far and is actually faster than my Extreme III card. If you really want faster transfer, pick up a firewire reader as well. I can dump a 8GB of data in a matter of minutes.

Might take a look at another 16GB card eventually; just want to see what the D3X files are gonna be like. D2X RAW files are around 20MB and D200 files are around 15MB so they can eat a lot of storage space up (approx. 750 pictures for the D2X for the 16GB card). Supposedly, the D3X is a 22-24 MP camera, which is double the resolution of both those cameras. Can't even imagine working on a 40MB picture.

After shoots I usually first start uploading the pictures, and while I wait I take a shower, clean my equipment, eat some food etc. =)))

The D3X is gonna be amazing, full frame 24mp. That's the whole rumors with the Sony's new FF CMOS sensor right Eric?

You'll probably need a few more 16GB cards ;)

Yup, full frame sensor, but don't think it's a Sony revamped sensor like in the D300. I think it has the same design as the D3 instead.

I'm not too worried about the cards, it's the camera sticker price that I'm worried about. I'm definite that I don't want to pay out the nose for one; even the sticker price on the D3 is pushing it. At least the D3 is available from B&H nowadays.

I could never justify $5000 for a camera body =X I don't make money off my shots, and don't really want to ever, and being so newbie to photography anyway, I can't reason my way to it.

$5,000 can get me a whole bunch of interest in a CD account, or a set of new VOLKs for my car ;) Hell, maybe it can get me a matching ELOS 160xl.

Yup, that's why I can't justify it either, unless I book something. All three Nikon bodies that I've owned (D70, D200, and D2X) paid themselves off in a matter of months, but $5k is a lot of shooting.

Really takes the fun out of it and this is the reason why I don't shoot as much as I used to.

I use Extreme III (2g) and Extreme II (2g). The EIII is WAY faster then any I have used yet :) I prefer smaller and more cards. I wouldn't mind using EIII 4g's though :) I just got a screaming deal on the EIII 2g's so I went for it.

I have 2 of the lexar 4g pro sdhc cards.. I got them on Eric's referral and have been happy with them.. Where's is the killer Deal Phoung.. I need to know :)

hi guys, i'm new here :)

I have a D200 and have been using 4G kingston "ultimate" cf cards since I got the camera.
They are 100X and give pretty fast transfers. I was going to get a few 133X in the 8gb size.

I was searching on dealram.com and kept seeing the brand "Transcend" come up.
The prices looked good on them, especially on the higher volume cards. Has any used or
heard any reviews on them? they are rated at 266X , that's a fast transfer rate!

what I find harder to choose are new hard drives as I accumulate more photos.
I try to edit in camera, but that's usually just the out of focus shots. I still end up with way more
shots then I ever would have with film. I can only imagine the drive space I will need as the CF cards
get larger. That's whole other discussion though.

[quote author=fishnfst link=topic=2936.msg31552#msg31552 date=1201860338]
I have 2 of the lexar 4g pro sdhc cards.. I got them on Eric's referral and have been happy with them.. Where's is the killer Deal Phoung.. I need to know :)
[/quote]

Not a killer deal... I can get only like 25% off but only couple cards per month. This is for most of the product made by Lexar 8) ..
https://store.lexar.com/?category=21&subcategory=6

I know what you mean about filling up HD's Jon. I'm trying to cull some right now! Lightroom rules :D

Back