Our mission

Why I farm the way I do (warning-long!)

Jim,

Very impressive thread ! I'm in the process of setting up a 4' x 2' x 12' frag tank. I was going to use egg crate w/a pvc base, but I like your system much better.

A few questions:

1. Do you recommend putting in some rounded corner inserts for a gyre flow system ?
2. How high is your acrylic rack ?
3. What size are the holes ?
4. How long are the acrylic rods cut ?
5. What is your dipping/acclimation method ?

Many thanks,

Jim

bookfish said:
The combo of a few asterina stars and a serious qty of blk foot trochus have eaten everything that even looks like microalgae!

Visited the tank(and Jim :D ) last Monday.

Those trochus kick some serious butt on algae. The tank was amazingly clean.

gimmito said:
Jim,

Very impressive thread ! I'm in the process of setting up a 4' x 2' x 12' frag tank. I was going to use egg crate w/a pvc base, but I like your system much better.

A few questions:

1. Do you recommend putting in some rounded corner inserts for a gyre flow system ?
2. How high is your acrylic rack ?
3. What size are the holes ?
4. How long are the acrylic rods cut ?
5. What is your dipping/acclimation method ?

Many thanks,

Jim
Thanks! I'm so done with egg crate racks!
I don't have a gyre anymore but I do believe that flow is of utmost importance. Currently my flow washes down over the racks. BTW, I have a LOT of flow and would still like more! The racks are about 4" tall and the corals are about 1" above the racks.
The acrylic rods are cut to 2" length.The holes are drilled for the 3/16" rods with a 3/16" bit and a little wiggling of the drill. I have a 7/32" bit which would be perfect but the rake is too high and it splinters the acrylic. I'll try Norms reshaping idea once I get a chance. Dipping and acclimation are somewhat unknown processes at my place but I certainly will have a thorough protocol once I really get the shop up and running. Thx 4 the great questions!

The blue mille I got from AC has really turned out nice. Thanks Karson!
075.jpg

074.jpg

awesome post Jim! This is a great system for people to idolize and learn from =) Love the coral pops! I'll need some more Seachem Reef Salt soon, looks like my corraline loves that stuff ;) Need some corals soon to test it out too. But I've been using it for months now and no problems at all.

Eh, some aspire to grow corals, Art is just happy to be able to grow calcareous algae I guess :lol:

Holy Moly, Jim.........you've really stirred it up! (Another mad scientist)

The refinements you've engineered into your system make perfect sense. You've got a lot of us thinking, "Why didn't I think of that"? Sharing the evolution of your thinking regarding coral farming make me a better reefkeeper. Hugely valuable post, thanks.

Wow this thread is old! I just wanted to say I'm currently working with Jon from Boston Aqua Farms to perfect a system to grow LPS on the same rack setup. Also wanted to mention that clingfish are cool!!!

bookfish said:
Wow this thread is old! I just wanted to say I'm currently working with Jon from Boston Aqua Farms to perfect a system to grow LPS on the same rack setup. Also wanted to mention that clingfish are cool!!!

Hopefully you employee the idea I had :) Jon knows and I told you as well.

Back