Kessil

Wife decided to save money by turning off the heat to the house over the weekend.

Do you happen to have the math on power consumption to water vaporization? I’m thinking that 1 gallon per day is roughly equivalent to 100 Watts continuous, but it’s been a while since I’ve worked it out.

I wonder how much of the energy savings is due to decreasing convection and how much is due to decreased evaporation?

the energy to evaporate a gallon of water is about 8000 BTU, which translates to having a 100watt heater on 24 hours. So yeah you're right.

Unless you're evaporating a crazy amount of water though most of the energy loss is going to be due to the heat transfer between tank and colder air. I think the formula I used above takes into account an "average" of evaporation and not special cases like a really large surface area with lots of agitation.

I'm curious, what are the electrical rates in CO?
July was our highest usage month last year with 1566kWh and we paid $208.54. I don’t know what the tiers are but if it was just averaged it would be $.133/kWh. One month we only used 311 kWh and paid $38.21 so that equates to $.123, so maybe we don’t really have any tiers.

July was our highest usage month last year with 1566kWh and we paid $208.54. I don’t know what the tiers are but if it was just averaged it would be $.133/kWh. One month we only used 311 kWh and paid $38.21 so that equates to $.123, so maybe we don’t really have any tiers.
Again...just a reminder for us here as to how obscene retail electrical rates are here in No. Cal.

Again...just a reminder for us here as to how obscene retail electrical rates are here in No. Cal.
Yup, I've seen reports that says in the next year or two California will actually create more power than it needs... but nope PG&E keeps spoon feeding us this horsecrap about how they are selling us electricity at a rate which it costs them.

My wish:
Government builds and maintains wires and pipes, like they do for roads.
Everyone, even solar people, pay their share of that.
Perhaps pro-rated by amount used.

Private companies sell gas and power, semi-direct to consumer.
Yes, it gets mixed in pipes/wires, but that does not matter.

Back