Reef nutrition

Worm ID?

I picked up a couple of pieces of live rock last weekend and after getting it in the tank I have what I think might be a worm of some sort that is extending long tentacles into the tank. I'd like to know if someone might be able to help me ID this or point me in the right direction to ID it. I want to make sure it's OK to keep in the tank or if I need to chip it off the rock.

Here's a couple of pics:
WromThingy-008.jpg

WromThingy-006.jpg

WromThingy-001.jpg

I counted 5 tentacles out at one time so far but there could easily be more. They can extend out between 6" to 8" at times but usually just a few inces. It appears to be coming from one central "head" but I suppose it could be more than one animal. I'm not able to get a good pic of where they're coming from and I can't actually see it too well myself.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Charlie

I have a bunch of the small brittle stars in the tank too. What's different about this thing is that the tentacles are more worm like if that makes sense? On the stars the arms just flap around. On this thing they definitely expand and contract and stretch out as it's feeling around. Definitely no hair/feet on the legs that I can see without magnification.

I have a Duncan (I think that's what you call it), a green BTA and some zoas all within reach and it doesn't seem to be bothering them or stinging them in any way. It looks like it's just picking up detritus and moving it towards the center.

It's hard to tell without pulling the rock out and moving it around but it looks like they're coming from a hard tube. That doesn't mean a star didn't crawl in there though.

I'll leave alone for now since it doesn't seem to be bothering anything. Part of the fun for me is watching all of these critters come out of the rock work anyway :)

Thanks,
Charlie

+1 on spaghetti worm.
Especially if there are a lot of thin tentacles that attach to one spot.

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9798

Tony - That's it for sure! Mark - Yes; many, many tentacles coming from a single spot. I haven't had a chance to Google this yet nor look at the link above. Do I need to bring home a 90# breaker and compressor to chip it off the rock? I'll research in the AM.

Thanks for the help!

~Charlie

Charlie
Try not to over think it
There will be many many creatures in there that you will not pay for.
It's all part of the fun!
Yes those are duncans
Good luck and enjoy
Also I do recommend owning a few books on the subject ;)

Back