Our mission

xinu's 375g tank

Few questions Perry

1) Your sulfur denitrator, what sort of time frame do you have to replace the media in it, and how much does the media cost.

2) How often (and how large) are your water changes. As of recent, everytime I have a grand idea about my next tank (usually it's big honking large) I remember how much I "love" doing water changes and then scrap the idea.

Hi Mike,

Without the SD I change 45g of water every two weeks. With SD I only change water 45g once a month.

ppl recommend changing the sulfur media once a year, but I think it can be used for more than that ... I would say it can be used for 2 years.

I'm using the garden type sulfur media which is very cheap. cost me only $14 for 2.5lbs http://www.hydroponicsoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=704055

Thanks Alve.
If you like birdnest let me know I can frag some other colors that you might not have yet. I'm not sure if I give you a green one yet. Let me know I can bring one for you at the BAR meeting.

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the comment. Are you planning of getting a Mighty Magnet cleaner too?

<snip>
[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=2609.msg39284#msg39284 date=1206980996]
I'm using the garden type sulfur media which is very cheap. cost me only $14 for 2.5lbs http://www.hydroponicsoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=704055

[/quote]

It says no sale to CA - I don't think they were talking about Cananda right?

Was the denitrifier hard to dial in? Ive been reading about them a lot and thinking of building one myself. I dont need it yet, but Ive run outa things to make heh.

I used an old geo calcium reactor that I had on my old 90g tank. If you like DIY you can actually use a phosbate or a kalk reactor for this project.

It does require a lower pH to function, correct?

Also, Mighty Magnets rule! Especially the "Algae Dozer" pad, cut my cleaning time by at least 1/2 if not more compared to other mags.

Sulfur will lower the pH. So, water coming out of the effluent will have a pH of 6.5 or lower. You can hook up another chamber full of aragonite media to bring up the pH and at the same time increase ur calcium level.

I made a dual stage calcium reactor a little while ago. I may just use the 2nd stage as a denitrator.

Ive also read that it can lower alk. Do you find this occurring?

Back