High Tide Aquatics

Zeolite Reactor Flow

Hope I'm posting this in the right place. I've recently decided to try the Zeovit system and had a question about flow rate to the reactor if anyone has experience with it or knows. I know I should have around 180 gph of flow to the reactor, the problem I'm having or I guess question I have, Is whether the flow should be measure prior to entering the reactor or as it exits the reactor and enters my sump.

The problem I'm running into is i'm using a Sicce Synrca 1.0 to feed the reactor and even at it's max setting, which is around 250 gph, im only getting around 60 gph into my sump.

The flow through the reactor is a range, 50-100gph per 1L stone per ~100g net system water. Are you converting an existing system to zeo or starting new? What are your nutrient levels now? If you have higher nutrients you will need to start slow. They have recommendations but I think it's 3 hours on 3 hours off on the reactor pump. Don't wanna shock the system by dropping things too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Im adding it to an existing system that already has low nutrients. Ive read through the zeovit guide and am going to run the pump off my apex for 3 hours on 3 hours off at a recommended 180 gph.

I do believe the stones are causing too much head pressure, causing the reduced flow at the return to my sump. I'm just trying to figure out if that is what is wanted or not. The last thing i want to do is get a pump with more flow to create 180 gph at the return if thats not what im supposed to do

I've got an aquabee pump that came with the reactor that is giving way too much flow. Had to really crank it down. And I'm also using towards the lower end of the recommended flow, about 50gph for 1L. I've learned that zeo is almost too effective in making it uln, and full dosing of zeolites and zeostart will really strip your water.

If you've got 1.8L then you have almost double the stones I have in mine, so not surprised your sicce can't keep up, but a bit surprised it drops that low. Maybe need to get a new pump and a flow regulator to adjust, or run off manifold like I want to eventually.

I'm glad to see another full zeo user. Starting to feel lonely around these parts.

I know there's at least one more. I forget who it is though.

Gabe, do you run a refugium with macro algae along with the zeovit?
Thanks for the reply. Im adding it to an existing system that already has low nutrients. Ive read through the zeovit guide and am going to run the pump off my apex for 3 hours on 3 hours off at a recommended 180 gph.

I do believe the stones are causing too much head pressure, causing the reduced flow at the return to my sump. I'm just trying to figure out if that is what is wanted or not. The last thing i want to do is get a pump with more flow to create 180 gph at the return if thats not what im supposed to do
How do you know the flow rates going in and coming out of it?

I know there's at least one more. I forget who it is though.

Gabe, do you run a refugium with macro algae along with the zeovit?

How do you know the flow rates going in and coming out of it?

No I don't, but I'm thinking about it. Got my grow light and trying to figure out how to drill my stock reefer ATO to be a small fuge/pod hotel like @RandyC.

Gablami, you wouldn't happen to be using Reefers Best salt from KZ would you? I'm going to give it a try but having trouble finding mixing directions. There were no instructions

I am. I really like it. Before I start using the salt I pour it all into a bucket, mix it like crazy and split it up into 2kg ziplock bags. And every time I need to mix, I just fill my Rubbermaid up to the line and pour in the whole bag. Whole box makes 130g and it's 20kg, so you can do that math depending on your needs. But important to mix well and split up I think, or else it settled and your dkh etc can get weird.

ok cool, sounds like i got the mix about right then. So I went and got a stronger pump for the reactor and had the exact same problem with low flow on the return. I thought I was loosing my mind so I finally just took the reactor out, emptied it and took it apart. Turns out when Avast Marine assembled it they put the down tube in too far through the media plate and it was bottoming out on the reactor, which in turn would not allow water to flow through.....

What is your weekly water change percentage? I read in the ZEOvit Guide that if your using the Reefers Best salt that it could be as low as 5% every two weeks. I have an automatic water change system set up and have been doing 10% a week, but would love to do just 5% every two weeks to save on salt

I usually do 5g per week, but past month or so I've been doing TTM nonstop to add bioload, and I pull water from my DT. So I've been replacing 10g every 3 days. One 5g bucket is really easy. But if you've got an automatic water change setup that's even easier.

Back