Kessil

Zepp's Rimless 2x2 Cube

So I finally decided to get a rimless 2x2 cube. I settled on a 50g Artisan from CAD Lights. Perfect dimensions and 3 side low iron glass. I have owned 10g, 20g reef nanos before and have 3ft long 50g tank right now. So everything from the old 50 will be moved into the new one. I also decided to get a build thread going since I like to read build threads ;-)

Here's what I have planned for the equipment:
- 2x2 tank
- 150Mh with 2x24 T5 actinics (for sale since will upgrade to LED at some point)
- cad lights sump. Still need 2-3 pieces of plumbing. Return is done but need to connect return pump to return.
- Will use my old Rio return pump but will upgrade to Tunze Silence pump later
- 2 choices for skimmer. Proven Coralife from my old tank or new BubbleMagus tat came with the tank (well sump actually)
- I have Koralia 1 and 2. May get MP10 later. Depending on the budget.

Livestock and corals:
- I have mixed lps, sps, zoa. I was neglecting my tank for some time so i don't have a lot of corals right now.
- Couple of clams
- I have 2 RBTA with a pair of clowns hosting and banghai cardinal

Still need to get:
- DJ panel (or controller), UPS, some plumbing parts, extra containers for topoff, dosing, etc

Here are some pictures:
Light fixture:
DSC_4670.jpg

All the plumbing:
DSC_4673.jpg

Just tank:
DSC_4674.jpg

Disassembled stand (speaker was not included lol)
DSC_4675.jpg

Under the stand:
DSC_4677.jpg

Tank
DSC_4680.jpg

Light fixture closeup
DSC_4681.jpg

I've got plumbing working today. Tested it with water in overflow and sump.
One thing that concerns me is if I should have some kind of foam between tank and stand. Preferably black one?

Looking good!

Is the black walnut stand a wood veneer or plastic wood look-alike over particle board or MDF?

(I've been eyeballing that tank too :p)

Vlad, maybe before adding more water, get some polyurethane (or polycrylic) and coat the whole stand, add 2 coats. Then it will have a nice tough waterproof shell. Do it before you add any more scratches. If you are concerned about brush strokes, etc. Get some "wipe on" polyurethane, pour some on a rag, then wipe it on, but then you'll need more coats because it goes on thin.

My current stand is crap, it doesn't have a lip and the tank is almost right to the edges, if I ever move it, I'll build a new stand.

V

Vince, that is a good idea, not sure if getting polyurethane on veneer will work? The finish has some water resistant coating. I has some water spilled inside the tank yesterday and it stayed like it was on a waxed car lol

New stand does not have a lip either. Old tank has a lip and I'm not sure I like it. If you spill water - there's no way to clean it and it traps dust and other crap.

Woohoo I have salt water in the tank and some basic aquascaping done.

Here are pics. (All done on manual setting and same white balance)

Just actinics
DSC_4696.jpg

Just moonlights
DSC_4697.jpg

Just MH
DSC_4698.jpg

MH+Actinics
DSC_4699.jpg

It is a bit cloudy still but will clear up soon. I plan to add some rock from my old/current tank to start the cycle. I'll also maybe add a hermit and snails to chew on all the crap that is on these rocks (some dead macro algae, etc).

My plan is to have a main structure/pillar in the center next to the overflow (for additional support).

And I will have a rock pile for anemones where a small rock now in the front right corner. I really want 2-3 RBTAs with clowns to take that place. I hope they stay in there. i know they dont like walking on the sand, hehe.

Nice tank and setup, I especially like the aquascaped tower, kind of looks like some kind of statue or sculpture to me. Have you planned to automate the top-off?

Looks good, but: WARNING WARNING! DON'T put in anything from the old tank! Forget about jump starting your cycle or anything, avoid GHA and Aiptasia at all costs!! If it takes you an extra month to cycle, it's still worth not spending the next 12 months fighting aiptasia. Seriously, this is time for a fresh start, don't waste it!

V

CookieJar said:
Nice tank and setup, I especially like the aquascaped tower, kind of looks like some kind of statue or sculpture to me. Have you planned to automate the top-off?

Not yet. The stand has some empty space in front of the sump where I could add a container. I need to look into options. I was thinking about doing a kalk drip system anyway.

Vince, I have added a small piece of rock from the old tank that was in my 10g QT for couple of weeks. I saw several pods there and I expect some bacteria too. So hopefully it will be a starter.

I could add couple of cups of old sand too. Just wash it first in saltwater.

A small update.

Looks like I moved everything except one rock with palyzoa (sitting in a bucket with powerhead and a small heater)

Pictures are a bit hazy since I don't have a filter sock (what's the best place to buy) and things are settling in. I also move riocks around since I'm never happy with my aquascaping ;-)

Actinics shot
DSC_4768.jpg

FTS
DSC_4769.jpg

Clam/gsp/palyzoa corner
DSC_4770.jpg

Anemone/clowns corner
DSC_4775.jpg

SPS branch
DSC_4776.jpg

Frags rock
DSC_4779.jpg

Unknown coral (id?)
DSC_4780.jpg

Tank with stand
DSC_4781.jpg

Is that green coral some kind of Goniopora?
Maaaan, it did get through tough times in my old tank ;-)
I actually fragged it recently and soon will have couple of frags for DBTC.

So after googling a bit I found this pic of Goniopota sp:
http://www.arkive.org/flowerpot-corals/goniopora-spp/image-G26466.html
IT IS INSANE

looks nice! It look like green gonipora to me, just not that extended. Mine grows the same way in a ball. What's in all the plastic containers in the back, or is that just litter? ;)

Plastic containers host my xenia garden. I need to keep it contained until I find where to put it.
I'll have a separate rock sitting away from everything just for xenia, I kinda like it.
But for now those containers are anchored down with some rubble.

Back