Neptune Aquatics

ZnP cleaning - Not so good experience...

iCon said:
Seems to be the same thing that happens if you work with bleach in an enclosed area...

Did you use vinegar with the bleach by any chance? IIRC, when those two are mixed it creates a horrible gas that can make you really sick.

Euphyllia said:
iCon said:
Seems to be the same thing that happens if you work with bleach in an enclosed area...

Did you use vinegar with the bleach by any chance? IIRC, when those two are mixed it creates a horrible gas that can make you really sick.

Duno about vinegar, but ammonia and bleach makes amongst other things, chlorine gas.

I've been dipping zoanthids in peroxide to rid of algae in a small room in the basement, ventilation is very little or null, just the room door. I have not experienced anything like last night. Now I feel better and as an extra measure of safety, will get a fan in the basement to circulate air when I'm doing some work there.
The main coral dip product I use is Providone, I'll stick to it for a while.

GreshamH said:
Euphyllia said:
iCon said:

Duno about vinegar, but ammonia and bleach makes amongst other things, chlorine gas.

Pretty common in the janitorial/housekeeping trade, a mislabeled bottle might mean nasty gases

xcaret said:
GreshamH said:
Euphyllia said:
iCon said:

Pretty common in the janitorial/housekeeping trade, a mislabeled bottle might mean nasty gases

Which is why there are strict labeling laws concerning EH and companies. If you take a chemical and put it into a new container and your a business, you have to put a warning label on the other bottle (well, you need to label what it is).

GreshamH said:
Euphyllia said:
iCon said:

Acid plus bleach will release chlorine gas.

You can use bleach and acetone to make chloroform.

Which is great since Valentine's day is coming up... and.... uh, nevermind.

:D

Basically(chem geek joke :D ), bleach is chlorine gas dissolved in a sodium hydroxide solution. Any acid begins to neutralize the hydroxide/base and the chlorine becomes less soluble so it comes out of solution.

Stronger acid works faster, so if you have a need for quick mischief... :D

xcaret said:
I've been dipping zoanthids in peroxide to rid of algae in a small room in the basement, ventilation is very little or null, just the room door. I have not experienced anything like last night. Now I feel better and as an extra measure of safety, will get a fan in the basement to circulate air when I'm doing some work there.
The main coral dip product I use is Providone, I'll stick to it for a while.

And the last time it was 3 huge colonies of z/p...

Mr. Ugly said:
GreshamH said:
Euphyllia said:
iCon said:

Acid plus bleach will release chlorine gas.

You can use bleach and acetone to make chloroform.

Which is great since Valentine's day is coming up... and.... uh, nevermind.

:D

My science teacher said something about her cleaning one day and then she got really sick, then she said something about vinegar which I why I was thinking ammonia in vinegar.

Euphyllia said:
My science teacher said something about her cleaning one day and then she got really sick, then she said something about vinegar [...]
They don't make science teachers like they used to...

Mr. Ugly said:
Euphyllia said:
My science teacher said something about her cleaning one day and then she got really sick, then she said something about vinegar [...]
They don't make science teachers like they used to...

Seriously, I had a space shuttle alternate (female), and a guy working on early voice recognition software in JHS...

Back