Reef nutrition

Zoa poks

Can anyone here give me a hypothesis on why certain colonies get them? I concluded after loosing 3-4 colonies and having two colonies now infected. I tried iodine dips, high flow, low light, and last is vitamin C dosing, nothing every helped besides fragging a healthy piece. I noticed I fragged smaller pieces of both colonies 2 weeks before noticing the poks on the mother colonies. The fragged pieces were placed with med flow on the bottom of the tank and the mother mid level high flow. The frags show small signs of poks now too, even placed in diffrent areas. These pieces were wild and in the tank for about a month. Thanks

***Anyone have a cure? ha,ha,ha If you do I'd be very impressed! :) If so post it on RC.

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=4564.msg55488#msg55488 date=1221419518]
A little searching indicates that it's a bacterial infection and treating with FuranII may clear it up.

[/quote]

Thanks for the notes. I haven't done a search on it for some time now. I'll google to read more.

from my expeirence.. zoapox came on alot of those palythoa colonies. they would come in with it and spread like wildfire throughout the tank. i never tried furan but heard it works also.

Weird thing is. My zoas are opened up when the lights are on? Its just when their closed (lights off) is when I see the dots. Never encountered this? I'll try to get some furan-2 tomorrow. Thanks

Also another option for treatment is moving them to a second unaffected tank (if you have one). IME that works better than treating with furan 2.

[quote author=iani link=topic=4564.msg55502#msg55502 date=1221422225]
Also another option for treatment is moving them to a second unaffected tank (if you have one). IME that works better than treating with furan 2.
[/quote]

What would you do as far as treatment in that quarentine tank?

You don't have to treat anything. Just by simply putting them in a different tank can cure it. Norman can attest to this. I gave him a colony to hold in his frog tank that was infected with pox. I did the typical furan 2 dips before giving it to him with no avail. It cured itself in his frog tank.

Back