Our mission

Zoas Closing

patchin

Supporting Member
Some of my zoas have started closing up. My Tubbs Blue was up tp to 20 polyps. It has been closed up tight for a month or so. Now others are closing. My Tyree Toadstool is struggling. I'm over due for a water change. Do you think that's the problem? What else would cause it? Don't see any pests of any kind. Salinity is good, along with alk. Any suggestions?

Maybe a fish or invert is bothering them? My clowns hosted in my polyps and 3/4 of them died, and the rest won't open now! And it was my prettiest piece of coral in my tank. So is it possible it is a fish bothering them? Check the pH since that can effect them. Check phosphate levels because that might bother them. Check all the levels just in case. I really don't know other than fish or invert bothering them. Maybe the strong lighting is bothering them? ???

Steve, maybe. I'm guessing this is on your AIO tank (nano12?). If so, humor me by running an airstone into your tank. I went through a long ordeal over months and it turned out being the exchange of O2 into the semi sealed off cube tank.

If that is the case, an airstone will give you visual results in 30min to an hour (things will start opening up).

I don't have a Mg test kit. What would you suggest? I do have phosban in my sump, but the flow in the sump is low. Does anyone have a med flow in sump return pump for sale?

Assuming all your parameters are in check, I typically give them a 10 minute fresh water dip when I am paraonoid about pest. 95% of the times, they'd open up again in few days. They're pretty resilient corals, a nice little FW dip shouldn't harm them. I have dipped A LOT of zoas in the past 11 months but haven't take any casualty from the dip, yet.

I don't want to hijack, but I've been having a similar problem with my GSP of all things. It almost always has its polyps retracted despite everything else in my tank seeming just fine.

I think there might be too much light for it. Maybe I'll try and find it a spot in the shade. It's on a big rock, though, so that's easier said than done.

[quote author=ROCKSTAR link=topic=6402.msg81872#msg81872 date=1234839701]
Some of my zoas have started closing up. My Tubbs Blue was up tp to 20 polyps. It has been closed up tight for a month or so. Now others are closing. My Tyree Toadstool is struggling. I'm over due for a water change. Do you think that's the problem? What else would cause it? Don't see any pests of any kind. Salinity is good, along with alk. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

Whenever I notice things starting to close up, I do a water change. If it doesn't alleviate the problem, I do another water change. It seems to work for me; especially where the toadstool is concerned. My toadstools will close if they do not like the water conditions. Also, I look to see if anything has or is dying in the tank, especially other corals. Seems like dying corals put out toxins that make all the other corals unhappy. When I fragged the yellow Sarcophyton, the stalk started melting. It affected all the corals, especially the Zoas. Have you cut anything recently? After the 2nd or 3rd (can't remember) water change, they have started to all open again, except for Rocs zoas, the ones I'm supposed to frag for you. Funny thing is though, even if the parent polyp is closed, it has put out 2 babies. ??? Oh, and I changed the carbon.

Good luck, and hope all is well soon. :)

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=6402.msg81905#msg81905 date=1234848277]
I don't want to hijack, but I've been having a similar problem with my GSP of all things. It almost always has its polyps retracted despite everything else in my tank seeming just fine.

I think there might be too much light for it. Maybe I'll try and find it a spot in the shade. It's on a big rock, though, so that's easier said than done.

[/quote]

GSP is one of the toughest corals. They should be ok under low-high light, unless it is directly under the bulb?

[quote author=ROCKSTAR link=topic=6402.msg81883#msg81883 date=1234841914]
It's on my 50 ga. I have been running carbon, but i'll change it. Anything else?
[/quote]

Don't change it, take it out for a few days and see if there is a change.

Mr. Ugly clued me into this a few years ago. For some reason zoas sometimes don't like having too much carbon around. I had a similar problem after running carbon non-stop for a while. Once I took the carbon out things improved quickly. I now only use carbon when specifically needed.

[quote author=cwolfus link=topic=6402.msg81927#msg81927 date=1234853077]
[quote author=ROCKSTAR link=topic=6402.msg81883#msg81883 date=1234841914]
It's on my 50 ga. I have been running carbon, but i'll change it. Anything else?
[/quote]

Don't change it, take it out for a few days and see if there is a change.

Mr. Ugly clued me into this a few years ago. For some reason zoas sometimes don't like having too much carbon around. I had a similar problem after running carbon non-stop for a while. Once I took the carbon out things improved quickly. I now only use carbon when specifically needed.
[/quote]

Hi Charles,

Do you know why zoas don't like carbon?

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6402.msg81932#msg81932 date=1234853669]
I heard FW dip works well too..
[/quote]

I think I'll try it with the one remaining stubborn Zoa. Maybe it'll shock it into opening. ;D

Back