High Tide Aquatics

Saying hello - been 10 years since I moved to Philly

kvosstra

Supporting Member
Hope everyone is well! thinking of setting up a tang again and its really hard in Philly! NY is a long drive, same with CT, and there are not many reefers around to trade with.
Curious if anyone still has some of my old corals in this group?
Also, since its been so long, what is the new SPS craze, including colors and patterns?
Hope you are all well! -Kyle

Hi! Nice to have a prior member pop in.

If you want to see what is today’s craze in SPS world you can see what is selling for exorbitant prices on WWC or other websites :)

Hope everyone is well! thinking of setting up a tang again and its really hard in Philly! NY is a long drive, same with CT, and there are not many reefers around to trade with.
Curious if anyone still has some of my old corals in this group?
Also, since its been so long, what is the new SPS craze, including colors and patterns?
Hope you are all well! -Kyle

I'd say if you want the craze, hyped, Uber expensive acros, look at SBB & BKChem (Facebook only).

That is incredibly generous - always was a great group - I dont even have a tank yet! So that's a bit premature!
I was thinking mostly of this one - (post from reefcentral) that I called the raspberry prostrata. (very furry pink coral in back right) - I gave some away, but also it was being sold from a few frags last I remember.

Susan, I'm in the western suburbs (Gladwyne). I dont yet have a backup generator, so that's an issue as we do lose power almost every year. I have a bid for a new solar panel system and 2 battery backups, as I'd just need to make sure heat is on and minimal pumps running!

well, some updates 3-months later - tank is not yet moved from its prior location. We've had a lot of snow here in Philly as well as ice, so my construction crew has been delayed at least 6 weeks for installing some supports in the basement for the new tank.
Tank is going to be in-wall 120x36x30 - and I will put support stuff in the basement -
Lights are AI Hydra 52HD - X10, with a pair of mp40's and pair of mp60s - may need more flow at some point (I hope! based on coral growth).
here is the tank in its current (very dirty form) -
goal is to start quarantine on fish in next few weeks - rocks will also go through a quarantine (to remove junk corals - (pocillapora, i'm looking at you!) and to also add some peppermint shrimp to attack the aiptasia on the rock. Tank will sit fallow for 45 days to ensure removal of parasites - as we have confirmed some parasites are present in the tank.
Corals will get dipped and review for anything in there (should not be...but we will check none-the less).

As soon as basement is done, I can use some paper/cardboard to map out the placement of frag tank, skimmer, CA Rx, etc. Then work on plumbing plans and then get the materials to build into the wall...lots to do!

but hopefully about 3 months from now, tank will be up with fish and corals back - and I can really get started on obtaining corals and growing!

Hope you all are well.
-Kyle

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 229
Hi Everyone! Another update -
on a side note - I really miss the bay area and all the reefer friends - feels like a little bit of a tighter community than here in Philly.
Regardless - I moved all corals and fish from the tank about 4 weeks ago - plan was for the tank to be moved two days later. All fish went into QT for known ICH - and treating other possible parasites.
The corals were hopefully going to be in temporary holding for just a few days, then let the display tank be fallow for 45 days (at 81 degrees) - and then use the 90 gallon tanks I had to finish up the fish quarantine.
Well....as life happens, the tank did not move - the team to move the tank came with 5 guys - no equipment and it was raining - then they tried to double the moving fee - and I asked them to prove their insurance (they didn't) so I fired them - thankfully, I did not pay anything.
Moving forward - that meant all my fish and corals had to stay in smaller than expected holding tanks - fish were all in a 40breeder - and I had a few unfortunate losses - they are through copper and into General Cure now for flukes and internal parasite treatment...

the big bummer was that that 90 gallon tanks (3 of them) were just not done well enough with light and dirty water, etc (the tank's water was not pristine to start...) and so I have lost virtually all the SPS, including some very large monti colonies and a huge red planet colony. I know they can be re-grown, but so sad!
The worst part is that I still dont have the tank moved, and I'm having one hell of a time finding someone to do it. One company said yes, but wanted $5K to move the tank!!!! yikes.

Hopeful to get an answer soon and get the existing corals into the display tank, lights back on, and then re-start with a solid clean-up crew, before adding the fish back in another 2+ weeks.

I am also ready to re-start my 2 frag tanks. and, judging from my losses - anything from this old group of awesome reefers would be amazing!

I have a few nice rainbow BTA's that I have been splitting and trading off for parts/corals - so I expect to keep with that locally - I have also found a nice Chicago, Colorado, and supernova that I might buy and continue to play with - (recognizing that these will be in different bodies of water - colorado's especially, dont like other BTA's -
Pics - empty tank - - giant duncan colony (1000+ heads), 2 of the 90g QT tanks for corals/rocks, and my empty wall, where the tank is supposed to go...
-Kyle

Attachments

• IMG_0743.jpg
    IMG_0743.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 163
Thanks for the update. Cool to see your story here.
Is the big tank in the 1st pic in your house and you're moving it to the room in the last pic?
Or is the first pic in someone elses house and your have to make a bigger move?
Are you part of a reef club in your area? Maybe members can comeover with a bunch of suction cups and help move it for you...

Back