Our mission

My Jellyfish Journey

I have always wanted to try to keep some jellies but always found the tanks extremely overpriced for what you get, and I know jellies are hard to keep.

Well with the new easy brine shrimp hatchery, and aqua-cultured jellies being available, I figured I’d give it a go if I found one cheap enough.

Long story short, I found one for free that was missing a lot of parts.

I finally got all the required parts to run it in the mail today and started a leak test with some water and citric acid to clean everything.
0556c65a81ad3b0886abecd82bb0e133.jpg

Tank details

Tank...
Jellyfish Art Desktop Kreisel (4-5 gallons)

Lighting...
Cheap submersible LED light strip (not needed/only for show)

Flow...
Air pump with control valve and check valve

Filtration...
Ceramic bio media (currently sitting in my reefs sump)
Chemi Pure blue nano

Heater/Chiller...
Not needed. Will be keeping moon jellyfish

Pieces that were missing/broken but replaced...
Bulkhead
Bubbler plate
Light
Air control valve

All in all it cost me $30 for all the parts needed to get it going. And another $70 for incidentals.

Other items needed that I picked up were a brine shrimp hatchery and some eggs, some spirulina powder to gut load the BBS, the chemi pure, and and extra bulkhead.

Doing a 2 day leak test on the bulkhead and 2 weeks in my reef for the bio media.

If you’re looking to save some jellyfish and pay less than $20 on each jelly I know that 6th Avenue aquarium sells blubber jellies for $19.99

If you’re looking to save some jellyfish and pay less than $20 on each jelly I know that 6th Avenue aquarium sells blubber jellies for $19.99

Cool. I did not think I could get any locally. Do they stock them regularly?

Last edited:
Yea the fish store is looked down upon for being absolutely terrible to the fish and everything living in it. I see it as a rescue to get anything from them Coral reefer could talk more about it

My wife and daughter really started pushing me after the last steinhart tour. My teenage daughter is actually excited about them. Which is weird for a teenager.

When it's running, monitor the pH for a bit. You said you have a bubbler plate so maybe that takes care of it. We have a different style of kreisel and it had an issue of dropping pH. We bubbled air into a separate compartment (diff style) from an air pump. Be sure bubbles are not in the area with the jellies.

When it's running, monitor the pH for a bit. You said you have a bubbler plate so maybe that takes care of it. We have a different style of kreisel and it had an issue of dropping pH. We bubbled air into a separate compartment (diff style) from an air pump. Be sure bubbles are not in the area with the jellies.

Yeah the flow is the bubbler in this tank so PH should be good as long as the flow looks good.

What jellies do you keep? Any advice?

We have only had moon jellies. I have gotten them from Sunset Marine Labs, PB n Jellies, and once shipped from All Stuff Considered. LFS can get them from fish suppliers.
Ours have loved eating live rotifers and artemia. Sometimes they ate a bit of dry jelly food (mixed in water) that was orange-pink and smelled like shrimp. It’s cool to see exactly what they eat thru transparent body.
Be very careful if you leave them in the tank during a water change! Easily sucked thru tubing!

We have only had moon jellies. I have gotten them from Sunset Marine Labs, PB n Jellies, and once shipped from All Stuff Considered. LFS can get them from fish suppliers.
Ours have loved eating live rotifers and artemia. Sometimes they ate a bit of dry jelly food (mixed in water) that was orange-pink and smelled like shrimp. It’s cool to see exactly what they eat thru transparent body.
Be very careful if you leave them in the tank during a water change! Easily sucked thru tubing!

Thanks. I’m thinking sunset marine labs is where I’ll get mine. They are based on the west coast I believe. Should be easier on the shipping.

Yea the fish store is looked down upon for being absolutely terrible to the fish and everything living in it. I see it as a rescue to get anything from them Coral reefer could talk more about it
Rescuing livestock just enables and encourages them to continue their bad practices.

That said, I did rescue a dog face puffer from PetCo once. My only excuse was that it was before I joined BAR. Well, and it had such a sad face.

Back